Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Cracker Please!

I have to start this post with an apology, I don't remember where this recipe came from. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a Martha Stewart recipe, but I have no idea. What I do know, these are delicious and worth trying. Let's get started.

Cheddar Rosemary Crackers

You need three tablespoons for fresh rosemary, which has been finely chopped. I think that's about 1/2 a cup of unchopped rosemary. I still think rosemary is one of my favorite herbs, based solely on aroma alone.


Delicious butter. Use the best butter you can get. Here we have Kerrygold, unsalted Irish butter. Chilled.


Mix together the flour, butter, cheddar & parm, seasoning (cayenne pepper and this time I tossed in a small bit of chipotle chile as well.) One egg yolk.


Mix together with some cold water, then add the rosemary. The dough will be crumbly and won't pull together. On the counter you will dominate the dough. You will make it do what you want. You must be aggressive and you force. Pushing and kneading, the dough will come together.


Roll the dough into a log shape, wrap with paper or plastic wrap and chill for a couple hours.


Slice the dough into 1/4 inch disks.


Bake until golden brown and delicious. As they come to room temperature, I think the flavors are best. They are tasty fresh from the oven, but I think they are best about an hour or two later.


Ta Da! You don't get too many with one batch. So, don't snack on more than one or two before your guests arrive, or you won't get to share. I think the recipe yields 2 dozen.

Recipe:
Cheddar Rosemary Crackers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love this recipe! -Liz