Friday, May 08, 2009

Rigatoni and Meatballs

We've had rain for about 40 days and 40 nights straight. It's just been dreary and chilly and damp. Comfort food, Stat!

For dinner I made a quick batch of meatballs, red sauce and rigatoni. Vibrant, warm and comforting. Woo hoo.

For the red sauce I got some finely diced onions going in plenty of olive oil.

The meatballs were a quick mix of ground beef, grated onion, salt, pepper, pinch of cayenne and allspice, chopped parsley and a piece of bread soaked in milk. Mixed all together and baked in the oven at 375 degrees for about 30 minutes.

Even though the meatballs are already cooked, I then simmered them in a big pot of sauce for about another 30-45 minutes.

Toss the rigatoni in some sauce, then spoon some of the meatballs over the top. But something is still missing.

There we go. Freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano.


Take that clouds & rain.

5 comments:

Charlie said...

I hear you! Last night was Spaghetti and Itallian Sausage for us...

Mia said...

what red sauce recipe did you use? We may have fires instead of rain, but that looks yummy for any evening!

ScottE. said...

This is the basic sauce recipe that I use most often. Here is another.

I don't really use a recipe anymore for my red sauce, its one of the few things I do just from memory and what's in the pantry.

Dancer in DC said...

One rule I find with a meatball sauce - it's not very good once it starts to cool. Solution - gobble it up very quickly.

Not that it's a real problem!

Mia said...

Awesome! Thanks!