Monday, May 09, 2005

Simple Tomato Sauce

When I was a senior at the University of Wisconsin-Superior, I was the community assistant in the grad student dorm. One of my duties was to get the students/residents together to various social programs. For the most part the residents that lived in the dorm I was in, didn't do jack. But get them with food!!! One of the residents was Eleana. She was from Italy. I can't remember from where, sadly.

In the middle of the spring semester we planned a large dinner and many of the residents invited their professors to our dorm for dinner. Eleana planned a large Italian pasta dinner. She taught how to make three different types of sauce. Basic tomato sauce, a variation on that sauce with peppers and then a cheese sauce. I never got the recipe for the cheese sauce--a shame, but Eleana did give me the tomato sauce recipe.

For those who have had my tomato sauce over the past several years, this is it. Enjoy. And this is how she gave it to me.

ELEANA’S ITALIAN SAUCE
1 large can of tomato sauce
1 small can of tomato paste
1 large can of tomato diced
1 large onion diced
lots of garlic minced
Olive Oil
salt and pepper
Oregano
Basil
pinch of Sugar
Bay Leaf

Sweat onions, garlic and olive oil
Add in tomatoes, oregano and basil and simmer for an hour
Season with salt & pepper
Drizzle with more olive oil
Serve over any pasta

1 comment:

Dancer in DC said...

Before Scott was in my life, I was one of those (you know who you are) that subsisted on jar sauce - like Prego. Believe me - this is very simple and ten times better. Not to mention cheaper!