Saturday, May 09, 2009

Grillin Green

I love when I can make the grill work for our benefit!!! Tonight for dinner I made one of my own creations...Pollo Verde. Green Chicken! Woo hoo...it's perfect on the grill.

First I make a green marinade for the chicken. Three types of peppers...not bell peppers...and I don't know the name of the others....there is one jalapeno in there. With the exception of the jalapeno, the peppers were very mild and a little sweet. They were not hot. So three peppers, some cilantro, a few cloves of garlic, salt, pepper and the juice of one lime. Whiz it together in the food processor with some olive oil, about 1/2 a cup. Reserve about 1/2 a cup of the sauce for later. Pour the rest over some chicken. In this case, I had boneless, skinless chicken thighs.

  **NOTE** Only use boneless/skinless thighs. They are more forgiving on the grill. Also, they taste better. 
**NOTE** Allow the chicken to chill out in the fridge for a few hours with the marinade. 2-8 hours.
**NOTE** I have made this a ton (this note is from 6/18/12) and I never measure, or stick to set quantities, I just kind of know what I need. The quantities listed above are good for 4-6 pieces of chicken, roughly double or triple as needed.


Get the chicken on a hot grill. Make sure to get some dark, crispy, nearly burnt bits...they are the best. Cook until done and no longer pink; about 10-15 minutes. Take the reserved marinade and spoon on the top of the chicken, after you flip it.


Perfect. The nearly burnt bits are the best.


Serve hot. I had a boxed rice mix. The rice was fine, but the chicken was great. Wonderful flavor. The peppers and cilantro are made mild by the charcoal, but still impart great green, vegetal flavors to the chicken. Mmmmm. I love this.

1 comment:

Dancer in DC said...

I've been looking forward to grill season for this dish, and look forward to having it again several times this summer!