Sunday, February 22, 2009

Friday Night Fish Fry

I was accidentally a good Catholic on Friday night with a good old fashion fish fry! It was tasty, fast and easy; if it was a little messy. This is another good recipe from Everyday Food.


First you need to make the coating for the fish. Cornmeal, flour, salt & pepper. I added some cayenne for a little extra impact.

The fish pieces are dipped in whipped egg whites, then into the cornmeal mixture. It's messy, but no more so than fried chicken. I covered my cutting board with a piece of plastic wrap to make clean up a touch easier.

The fish cooks in about 6-8 minutes. If you work in batches, the finished fish can sit in a warm over until you're ready to serve dinner.

This amount of fish sticks came from two tilapia fillets. It filled the two of us up. With a little more of our side dish, we could have shared the fish with a third person.

Fish with potatoes; the potato recipe will come later...super duper, OMG easy.

Good flavor, very light and super flaky. Amen.

Cornmeal Crusted Fish Sticks
from Everyday Food

4 large egg whites
Coarse salt & ground pepper
1 pound skinless tilapia fillets, cut into 1 by 3 inch pieces
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 250. Line a baking sheet with paper towel.

In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites with salt & pepper. Add the fish and toss to coat. In another large bowl, combine cornmeal and flour, season with salt & pepper.

Working in batches, lift fish from the egg whites; letting excess drip off, and dredge in the cornmeal mixture, patting to adhere. Transfer to a plate, sheet pan or cutting board.

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high. Working in batches, cook fish until golden brown and opaque throughout, 4-6 minutes, turning once. If fish is browning too quickly, reduce heat. Transfer to the paper towel lined sheet. Keep warm in the oven until ready to serve.

Serve with ketchup, lemon wedges or tartar sauce.



**I used a cup of oil for my cooking, it wasn't very deep, so I had to rotate the fish a few extra times, so my cooking time was a touch longer than the 4-6 minutes recommended by the recipe. Otherwise this is it...

4 comments:

Stef said...

Oooh, I'm gonna watch for that side dish recipe. I have about a dozen little new red potatoes I need to use up pronto!

Anonymous said...

OK, I am a little surprised that you did not do a beer batter for fish, growing up in WI that was the traditional Friday Fish Fry. The original recipe was equal parts flour and beer, but all good cooks know that it was the seasoning that made a really good fish fry.
This recipe does sound quite good. I will skip the ketchup on my fish and go for a little malt vinigar instead!

Dancer in DC said...

I really liked this batter as opposed to a beer batter - it actually reminded me very much of the way my grandmother would prepare fish that my dad would catch at the lake. And I REALLY liked the stick size, although I can't figure out why.

ScottE. said...

Charlie: I do do a beer batter, but I wanted to try this recipe out. As for my roots, beer batter fish was a special occasion at home. Everyday fried fish was a dry coating.