Wednesday, October 08, 2008

It's getting chilly-time for soup!

A big bowl of savory soup, spicy soup. And easy!

I've made this before. I sort of made it up as I went. Called Asian Noodle Soup, the primary flavors are ginger, garlic, lime, jalapeno, cilantro*, soy sauce and fish sauce.


Here are the approximate quantities of the items in the soup, I threw this together, so I don't really know.

4 cups broth (chicken this time, pork last time)
2 inch knob of ginger, peeled and sliced
4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
1 small onion, diced (this time I used a leek)
2 carrots, cut into matchsticks
1 small jalapeno, diced
2 tsp olive oil
1 TB soy sauce
1 tsp fish sauce
2 tsp hot sauce
1 small chicken breast, sliced (optional)
Juice from 1 lime
Noodles, this bowl is lo-mein noodles

For garnishes: bean sprouts, cilantro, scallions

Simmer broth with garlic and ginger. Strain out garlic and ginger before serving.

Saute onion, jalapeno and carrot until fragrant, in the olive oil. Pour in the broth. Bring to a light simmer. Add the chicken if you are using.

When noodles are cooked, pour broth over the noodles. Garnish with sprouts, scallions or cilantro. Drizzle some lime juice.

Slurp away.

*Cilantro...try to use it. I grabbed the wrong bunch at the store...the one bunch of flat leaf parsley tucked into the basket of cilantro and I didn't notice it. The parsley was fine, but the cilantro actually has some flavor that works nicely here. Boo.

1 comment:

Dancer in DC said...

What this soup is good for:

- warming you up
- making your belly full and happy
- clearing out your sinuses
- awakening any dormant tastebuds

What it is not good for:

- heartburn

Take your Zantac!

In all seriousness, this will be a soup I have on my request list the next time I'm sick. (After chicken and dumpling soup, of course.)