Friday, September 05, 2008

Watermelon Cocktail!

The other day I came home from work and before I had time to change out of work clothes and sit for a few minutes, J-lo was making cocktails! Very enjoyable. See below for his comments and recipe. The good fun: he used watermelon from the farmer's market. So a little tropical fun with local produce!

Watermelon Daiquiri

From J-lo:
This is roughly what I put in, but I messed around with it a few times.

4 cups of watermelon - cubed and frozen
1/2 cup rum
1/4 cup orange liqueur
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
simple syrup
ice

Add watermelon and liquids to a blender. Mix until smooth. Add ice to bring volume back up to top of blender. Mix again. Taste and adjust until you get the ingredients right.

I had no orange liqueur, so I tried orange vodka. That really didn't bring enough sweetness, so I used more simple syrup than you might normally need. Another option would be to try orange juice.

The other idea I would try is to use watermelon flavored rum, which could enhance the flavor and sweetness.

1 comment:

Dancer in DC said...

This is a great way to use up any leftover watermelon you might have.

But drink fast - it melts!