Monday, October 29, 2007

Steak Pizzaiola


Tonight was random "use what's in the fridge night." It turned out pretty well. I started with a giant chunk of beef brisket. There was a killer sale at the grocery last week--don't buy meat on "sale." It may not be the best thing you do for yourself. Well, this brisket was on it's last leg and I thought I'd better use it up..and quick.

So, I gave it the Gucci Treatment. Infused with some garlic and thyme. It worked out ok. This particularly cut of beef could stand to use more tenderizing; but I do feel the flavor was improved.

As the beef was taking a turn in the pan, I made the pizzaiola sauce; tomato sauce with oregano.

Pizzaiola Sauce

1 TB olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 15 oz can diced tomato
1 TB dried oregano
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
Salt & Pepper

In a medium saucepan, heat the oil until shimmering, add the garlic and immediately add the tomatoes and the juice after, so the garlic doesn't burn. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for about 20 minutes until thickened. To make the sauce a little more saucy and slightly less chunky, take a potato masher and 'mash' the tomatoes into a thick sauce.

Serve over the beef.


This was better than I thought it would be. The beef wasn't that great texture-wise, but the flavors worked well; the salty, herb-y accents of the Gucci-fied beef and the acid-y, spicy tomato sauce. I would do this again, especially if I had a less than perfect piece of meat.

2 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

After being in China for 2 weeks, I was "rice'd" out and for the past 4 nights in a row we've had STEAK. and BREAD. That Pizziaola Sauce would be so great just as a crusty bread "dip."

Dancer in DC said...

Really delicious - I loved this meal!