Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Salted Beef

First thing you need to do is click over to Jaden's Steamy Kitchen and read the post on turning cheap steak into Gucci!

I'll wait.

You done? OK....well, the technique works and it works really really well! I gave it a whirl tonight and am very pleased with the results.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Start by salting the beef, liberally! I tried enhancing the flavor with fresh thyme and some smashed garlic as well. Let sit for an hour.

While the steak hung out, I prepared the veg that I was going to grill as well. Potatoes, which we did the other night. Vidalia onions and grape tomatoes. The onion was sliced thickly after I skewered it through the center.

After the steak rested for an hour with the salt, I rinsed it and patted it dry. Onto a medium heat grill pan. The steak was about an inch thick. I grilled for 10 minutes per side, I should have only done 8 minutes per side. The steak was a tad over done, but with the juicy tomatoes and onions, it was perfect.
The veg are pretty much done. The steak is resting on the cutting board. The onions took about 8 minutes total. Tomatoes took about the same amount of time. Flip half way through. The potatoes took about 15 minutes.
Done. The plate needs some green garnish to make the whole thing pop, but alas, I did not have any parsley...! Oh dang, I had some thyme I could have dropped on there! Boo.

Please try this! You will be left with a tender, juicy and very flavorful piece of beef. The flavors of the thyme and garlic were very subtle. Next time I might crush the garlic and herbs in the salt, allowing the oils to mix with the salt that will ultimately melt into the beef. This was fun! I'll definitely do this again. And the grilled Vidalia! Sweet.

8 comments:

SteamyKitchen said...

beeeeaaauuutiful! Nicely salted my friend....we should re name this to: Salt Lick Heaven!

re: herbs - try smushing the herbs with salt w/ mortar/pestle to release oils.

Dancer in DC said...

Thanks so much, steamykitchen - this was really most delicious. And he used a steak we had frozen, which is always risky.

This is by far one of the best steaks we've ever had at home. (And those sweet Vidalias really went well with it.)

ScottE. said...

Jaden: Thanks for stopping by and THANKS for the recipe. I'll admit, our cut of beef was actually pretty high end to begin with, but OVER THE TOP with this treatment. I look forward to trying this again with a lesser cut of beef.

And I intended to bring the herbs and salt together, but was running late on time and wanted to give the beef at least 60 minutes. Next Time...

Anonymous said...

Looks fabulous, Scott! I never imagined you a cook!

ScottE. said...

Shut Up! Is that Tammy??? From CHS??? Shit! Contact me offline: scotteichinger@msn.com

DC Food Blog said...

What cut of steak did you use?

ScottE. said...

I don't know for sure. Ribeye? We got it from the butcher we visited in Hagerstown, MD. We walked in. Cow parts were laying there. Said we want steak. They ask how big and this is what we got. We got two of them. They were huge! One could comfortably serve 3-4 people, with quality sides.

Dancer in DC said...

As I recall, they were "rib steaks."