Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Pancakes for dinner

Recently J-lo brought home a recipe card for Potato Pancakes. He was able to try them at a demonstration at Maryland Day and really enjoyed them.

So I thought I would give them a shot. They were pretty easy, do require a little work to grate the taters and also need some fry time, take that into consideration when making these. I could have gotten about 10 pancakes from this recipe. I stopped at 8. That fed the two of us. I would recommend doubling if you plan to serve to three or more, as part of the main entree (tonight we had boring pork...and it looked icky, pale and paltry in the photo so I cropped most of it out.)


Potato Pancakes

serves 4-6

1 3/4 pounds firm potatoes, peeled
1 large sweet onion, finely grated
1 finely minced garlic glove
1 large egg yolk, lightly beaten
2 TB flour
1 tsp salt
1 pinch fresh black pepper
1 TB minced fresh parsley
1 large egg white, beaten stiff
Peanut Oil for cooking

(NOTES: I didn't use garlic; substituted garlic powder. My onion was tiny; added a little onion powder. I thought I had cooking oil, I didn't; used olive oil instead.)

Finely grate the potatoes. Put them in a large bowl and add the onion and garlic. Mix well.

Sprinkle in the flour and mix. Add the egg (yolk and white), salt, pepper and parsley. Mix well.

Heat 1/4 inch oil in a heavy skillet over high heat. For each pancake, drop in a heaping tablespoon of the potato mix and press down with a spatula. Brown until crisp on both sides. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve with sour cream or apple sauce.

6 comments:

DC Food Blog said...

How'd you get it so brown and crispy?

Dancer in DC said...

These are just so good. Probably better than I've had at the Jewish deli, honestly.

ScottE. said...

DC Food Blog...let them sit and cook in the hot oil...resist temptation to move them! The first one I made I flipped early and it started to fall apart and was pale and flabby. I let the second side really sizzle, then flipped back to get the other side later. I don't think the olive oil had anything to do with it.

PS: Per in the recipe: it calls for 1/4 inch of oil...I didn't do that, I used enough to liberally cover the bottom of the pan. 1/4 inch would have been too much. And frankly, in this case, a waste of good olive oil.

Brunette said...

Those looked terrific! One of my favorite things to do with potato pancakes is to add a generous splash of lime juice to plain yogurt and dip away!

If you have similar luck with sweet potato pancakes, let me know your secret. I've never been able to keep them together.

ScottE. said...

Brunette, I would try this same recipe, but with the sweet potatoes...and really let the pancake linger in the hot oil until fully set.

It's only been a week and I'm craving these already.

SteamyKitchen said...

Wow, these look amazing...you could top with creme fraiche too!