Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Poulette der patata de' provence!?!?!

I'm full of crap I know! I like the sound of this dinner, but seriously, if the title of this post is translated if probably says something like "Scott is a complete dork."

Anyway, last night was a "what's in the fridge/freezer for dinner" kind of night.

I had some frozen, almost freezer burned chicken, two potatoes, one onion, one and a half leeks, wine and butter. The cupboard was fully stocked with herbs. So, what did I make.....

Poulette Der Patata De' Provence!
aka: Scott is a complete dork

2 medium-large white potatoes, scrubbed and cut into 1/4 inch cubes
Olive Oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 leeks, cleaned and sliced into half moons (I only had 1 1/2, but if I did again, I'd use 2)
1 TB Herbes de Provence
S/P
1 lb pack of boneless skineless chicken breasts, sliced about 1/2 inch thick
1 cup white wine
2 TB butter

Over medium high heat in a large skillet, add in about a TB of olive oil. Add the potatoes, toss to coat with the oil and allow to saute and start to get browned. Add the onions and leeks. Cook for about 5 minutes, until everything starts to soften. Season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle in the Herbes de Provence. Toss to coat.

Carefully scootch the veg mixture to the sides of the pan and lay down the chicken slices. Keep moving the veg to make room for the chicken as you add it...I just started to so put the veg onto of the chicken, sort of layering it. Allow to cook for 5-8 minutes, getting a nice crust on the chicken...and the steam will continue to cook the veg.

Turn the chicken pieces to cook the second side. Add the wine to deglaze the pan. Gently move the ingredients around. You don't want to mush the potatoes. Simmer for a few minutes until the wine has reduced to a nice saucey consistency. Stir in the butter to enrich the sauce.

Enjoy.


(not much to look at, but pretty tasty)

1 comment:

Dancer in DC said...

I guess it would be "pomme de terre" not "patata," but then again you are a dork. :)

I liked the touch of lavender from the herbs in this - it goes so nicely with chicken, potatoes and butter.