Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Chicken in White Wine

We recently had Lord & Lady B over for dinner with J-lo's mom. I decided to head into THE SILVER SPOON for recipes for dinner.

Here is the main entree:

Chicken in White Wine
Pollo Al Vino Bianco


2 TB Olive Oil
1 Garlic clove
1 Fresh Rosemary Sprig
1 Chicken cut up
1 bottle dry white wine
Salt & Pepper

Preheat the oven to 350. Heat the oil in a roasting pan, add the garlic and rosemary, then add the chicken and cook, turning frequenty until golden brown all over. Season with salt and pepper and pour in the wine so that the chicken is almost covered. Cover the pan with a double layer of foil and roast for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, return the roasting pan to the oven and roast until the wine has evaporated is tender and cooked through.

And that my friends is the way THE SILVER SPOON presents their recipes. Simple and straightforward. I did add about four more garlic cloves and a total of three rosemary sprigs. Also in the early steps, with the garlic and rosemary just added to the oil, I added a large onion, sliced. Done and done.

I served the chicken with Aspargus Risotto and Cake with Orange Frosting. I'll get the cake recipe up sooner or later. The Risotto...just make a risotto and add some blanched asparagus...basically.


8 comments:

ScottE. said...

I guess I failed to give my input. I loved it! Roast chicken no matter what is awesome (as long as it's not bone dry).

The juiciness of the wine penetrates into the chicken, creating a tender succulent meat under a crisp skin.

For those who haven't heard this before...and I think this is less of an issue as 10 years ago. DON'T cook with a wine unless you're willing to drink a glass of it. Skunk wine will make skunk food.

The aspargus risotto was creamy with the veg being perfectly crisp, but not under cooked. Trim off the ends of the aspargus. Reserve those. Then cut the green spears into 1 inch (Or so) pieces and quickly blanch those in a pot of boiling water. Only a few brief minutes, longer and the vibrant green color will start to darken and become depressing. Remove when tender/crisp. Plunge in cold water to stop the cooking and set the color to stunning. Set aside. Now, you get a pot of stock boiling for the risotto...I toss in those cut ends of the stalk that you reserved and leave those in the water for 5 minutes...they will release some of their aspargus flavor to the broth, adding another flavor note to your risotto. Discard those bits at this point and continue with making your creamy risotto.

Dancer in DC said...

I found that the dark meat was the best part - as it's less dense, it soaks up a lot more of the wine. Delicious!

ScottE. said...

And if you can cook it to a point when you can reserve some of the wine and juices, they make a great sauce on the side. Just strain to remove some of the unpleasantness. OMG! So good and rich.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering what you thought of the dish... glad I found out! I've seen that recipe in SS. But I've gone back and forth between the white wine chicken and the red wine chicken and which one I want to make...

ScottE. said...

JON: I'm sure I've seen the Red Wine one, but I feel it would be pretty similiar to Coq au vin...which I've had and was good, but I preferred this over that...

my two cents.

sse

Lady Brandenburg said...

It was fabulous, and I just want to let you know we took home the leftover risotto and I fried it up in a pan the next day in patties as part of breakfast. YUM.

Stef said...

Looks so good! I need to marry me a Scotte someday. You would severely chastise me for my dinner tonight.... tortilla chips with bean dip, to be followed by a turkey hot dog. Can't explain the cravings, but there you have it. So not a good WW day!

ScottE. said...

Sterfanie: YOU could make this....it's easy! Seriously!!! A little saute, some wine and an oven! Don't sell yourself short! I challenge you to try it...and if you need tutoring, you have my number.