Thursday, March 23, 2006

Honey Pepper Pork

Wednesday night's dinner was an old favorite from the past few years. But it has changed each time I've made it...it's evolved. Originally prepared as a roast that dried out and was over cooked, eventually I decided to cut the pork tenderloin into medallions/cutlets...quick cooking, tender and juicy! Those were all good things. But then I'm left with the sauce. To help that process, I tossed in some sliced shallots, wine and the rest of the ingredients.


Honey Pepper Pork with Thyme'd Rice
Serves 2 to 4

Ingredients:
1 ½ lb pork tenderloin, fat & silver skin removed, cut into about 1/2-3/4 inch slices
2 medium shallots, sliced thin
1/2-1 cup dry white wine
1 TB olive oil
¼ cup honey
¼ cup hot water, plus more if necessary
2 TB brown mustard
1 TB coarse-ground black pepper
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp salt
1 tsp dried garlic
1 tsp red pepper flakes (or less…this was hot tonight)
1 TB butter

Combine honey, water, mustard, black pepper, thyme, salt, garlic and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Set aside.

In a large skillet, over high heat place the pieces of pork in the pan. Leave in place, allowing the meat to sear nicely. Flip pieces and sear the other side. (2 minutes per side.) Remove and set aside.

Place the olive oil in the pan, when shimmering and hot, add the shallots and quickly sauté until soft and translucent. Add the white wine, scrap up tasty bites on the bottom of the pan (fond), and allow to reduce, about 2 minutes. Add the reserved honey pepper sauce. Stir into the shallots and bring to simmer. Lower the heat to medium-low. Return the pork medallions to the pan and allow to simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the butter to enrich the sauce.

If the sauce thickens too much and looks like it will burn, add a bit of water. You don’t want burnt honey. Blech. Serve with rice and veggies or salad.

5 comments:

ScottE. said...

The rice: I just put a handful of thyme in the water as it cooked. I also had some "Lemon Myrtle" from Nirmal's Kitchen. Some of that went in as well, but could tell the difference from the two.

Anonymous said...

You know, I have no idea where to post this comment, so it will go under "Honey Pepper Pork" even though it has absolutely NOTHING to do with "Honey Pepper Pork." Last night I did lemon infused orzo, as you suggested. I added a small diced onion that I had sauteed, which gave it a wee bit of crunch. Delicious. Tonight I had the sausage leek risotto, which was equally as delicious, and actually pleased my wife, who is easily the pickiest eater known to man. Keep 'em coming -- you're feeding me.

ScottE. said...

Jon....great news! Thanks for the feedback.

Dancer in DC said...

Holy crap was the sauce hot this time! Hotter than normal - I'm not sure why. But the taste is just delectable - this is one that I request a lot. Pork is so malleable, and pairs nicely with the sweetness of honey, and the spice of pepper.

Stef said...

I love pork with sweet. Rachael Ray did a show last night where she made Oregon-style dishes, including pork with a cranberry sauce. I've had a really great version with apple chutney, too. So tasty!