Monday, March 20, 2006

Hungarian Goulash

I have made this recipe a few times over the years and have made a few tweaks here and there. This is probably the best version so far, but it still has a ways to go to perfection.

Hungarian Goulash
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
8-10 strips bacon, chopped
3 onions, peeled and sliced
1 ½ lbs round steak, cut into 3/4 inch pieces
2 tsp salt
1-2 TB paprika (depending on tastes, start with 1 and taste after the broth is added, add 2 if you like)
½ TB ground black pepper
1 TB marjoram
1 can beef broth
1 cup white wine
1/2 cup red wine
2 TB tomato paste

Directions:

In a large heavy stockpot, cook the bacon slowly, stirring frequently, until browned lightly. Remove the bacon; set aside.

Add the onions and cook over medium heat until they begin to carmelize. Remove from pot and place in the bowl.

Add the round steak to the kettle and brown evenly. Stir in salt, paprika, pepper and marjoram.

Add beef broth and wine. Add the onions. Add the tomato paste.

Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer covered for 1-1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes to allow the sauce to reduce and thicken. Stir in reserved bacon bits and serve over egg noodles, spaetzle or rice.

In the future when I plan to make this, I think I will follow the recipe as stated up to the the point of adding the wine and broth. In the future, I will transfer the entire thing to a slow cooker and allow it to go for a few hours. I think this low and slow method will produce a perfectly tender and moist goulash. The stove top method works, but it is not quite tender enough.

Enjoy.



UPDATE: Jon from I Hate Broccoli pointed out that I have in fact posted this recipe before. For some reason I didn't put it on the recipe index page. Oops. Thanks Jon! PS: Go check out Jon's recent post for Pork Chops with Blueberry Honey Sauce...looks to die for! Can't wait to try it.

2 comments:

Stef said...

You know what I learned when I spent a week in Hungary as part of my study abroad? Yeah, not so much the liking of the goulash... paprika is an acquired taste in my book.

But the photo looks great!

Anonymous said...

I actually printed this recipe out last time you made it, and have since to try it. Thanks for an updated version (with pictures! yay!). One day, I'll attempt this...