Thursday, May 13, 2010

Cheers

CHEERS! A tiny bit of a delayed celebration. Over the weekend, May 9, Eat With Me turned 5 years old. Yippee.

Sadly the past 6-9 months have really been slow for me. I still enjoy working on the blog, finding new recipes and certainly still love cooking. But I've been soooo tired. I'm going to keep going and see what I can do to improve my production schedule! I need to find my muse; I think she went on vacation and got lost on her way home. If you see her, tell her to get her butt back here!

"Kira? KIRA!!!??? Come Back! Zeus didn't mean to be a jerk."



In other news, last night we kicked it old school with Tater Tot Casserole.


The big difference though??? Instead of using the traditional can of "Cream of ____" soup, I made a my own roux based sauce and it was delicious!

1. Brown ground beef and 1 medium, diced, onion.
2. When cooked, drain off excess fat.
3. Season with salt, pepper and other spices you like. Add 3 TB of butter.
4. Add 3 TB of flour. Stir and cook for one minute.
5. Add one cup of broth (beef, chicken or combo of both). Stir and simmer.
6. Add 1-2 cups of frozen green beans or other veg (carrots, corn, etc.)
7. Dump into a baking dish, top with frozen potato tots.
8. Bake at 400 for 25 minutes. Dump on some shredded cheese, if you like. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
9. Serve piping hot.

Enjoy!

I have a menu planned for the next 7 out of 8 days. Hopefully that means a good solid weeks worth of blog posts! Thanks for sticking with me for the past five years. It's been a lot of fun and I'm really proud of how far I've come with my cooking skills! And frankly, if I wasn't willing to learn to cook, I'd probably be eating the same five, boring things, instead of branching out and trying new recipes, new ingredients and new processes!

4 comments:

DancerInDC said...

Happy anniversary!

My own muse has been missing, and I'm going to call her an Evil Woman if she doesn't return. Hopefully I can get some posts up to inspire you to do the same.

In other news, the casserole was good, and I didn't miss the soup at all.

And I swear the Stella tastes better in that glass. Stella ranks as my favorite lager.

Angela said...

Congratulations! Happy 5 year anniversary!

pricklygirl said...

Happy anniversary! Have you seen this (http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/)? I don't know why, but tater tot casserole made me think of it.

ScottE. said...

@Pricklygirl...that website just gave me a stomach ache...