Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Pollo con pina y jengibre

Last night's dinner was a treat...and I don't know how to classify it! Besides delicious that is...!

Chicken thighs, brined for an hour in a mixture of water, salt, pineapple juice and fresh grated ginger. The chicken was then grilled and glazed with Pineapple & Ginger Jam by Martha's Jam, here in Cheverly, MD. I kicked the jam up a bit with some cayenne pepper to cut the sweetness. I want to call the dish "pollo con pina y jengibre" (Chicken with Pinapple & Ginger), but the Spanish implies a Mexican/Latin/Spanish dish. However, the flavors were more reminiscent of Hawaiian/South Pacific Islands/tropical influence...it was almost a grilled Sweet & Sour Chicken. It was delicious and I look forward to my leftovers for lunch today!

I served the chicken with grilled peppers and rice. I wanted to throw some pineapple on the grill as well, but forgot to get some at the (left my shopping list on my desk!).

The chicken takes about 15 minutes to grill over a hot fire. Of that time, I usually keep the grill covered for half the time. This combo seems to give me good results with the grill/char and making sure the chicken is cooked through.

1 comment:

DancerInDC said...

Really delicious! I definitely thought of it as a "Hawaiian Chicken" and the peppers were a nice compliment.

Next time - definitely grilled pineapple on the side! Or as a dessert. :)