Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Five Star Treatment

Next time you cook up a steak, give it the "Gucci Treatment." I've talked about it here before. Thanks to Steamy Kitchen for sharing the technique a few years ago! So tasty. Tonight, we grilled up a top sirloin steak using the Gucci technique...


This part of the process is optional. Chop up some fresh herbs and garlic...


This time I used thyme and garlic.


Here's where things get interesting. First, if you're using some herbs, rub those into the steak...


Then smother the steak in salt! Leave this to sit for one hour. Rinse off all the salt, garlic and herbs. Using paper towel, dry the surface of the steak and cook.


Steak and the grill. A perfect combination.


I also grilled some sweet onions and thick slices of potatoes.


The "Gucci Treatment" brings great flavor to the steak by drawing out the moisture from the steak, dissolving in the salt, then drawing the salt and herb flavors back into the steak. You need to be liberal with the salt and this has to have an hour to work. A little longer is ok, but not too long.

6 comments:

DancerInDC said...

What I love about this treatment is that it turns even a mediocre cut from the grocery store into a delicious steak. So no need to reserve this for an amazing cut from the local butcher! Use it on your "supposedly grade A but looks a little off" cut that you bought at Safeway.

Tony said...

I don't normally use that much salt, but I've heard of this TOO MANY times before to not try it now! (also, I forgot about the wash-off! ;)

Question: Do you happen to know what the chemical process that supposedly "draws the salt" into the steak? I know it's osmosis that initially draws the water out of the steak when you salt it (for the first 5-10 minutes).

ScottE. said...

Tony: I think it's osmosis that draws it back in as well? I'm not sure. The original blog that I got this recipe from has some fun graphics to show this process:

http://steamykitchen.com/163-how-to-turn-cheap-choice-steaks-into-gucci-prime-steaks.html

SteamyKitchen said...

WOWZA! Love it!!

You use like 3x as much salt as I do! Not too salty?

xo jaden

ScottE. said...

Jaden,

Using this much salt didn't leave the meat salty...at least not to my tastes. But it was good. I finally got the chopped herbs/garlic right...and it's the first time I've used the grill, instead of a grill pan.

Tony said...

IT'S REVERSE OSMOSIS!! I found some quoted text in a google book (thanks, google!) and if you look up the wiki pages for Osmotic Pressure, it all falls into place. Two factors 'push' the salt back in; the ionized salt concentration on the outside (molarity) and also the temperature. So if you did this to a cold steak, I think it might even take less than an hour to achieve de-naturization (is that even a word?).