Monday, May 04, 2009

2005 Vintage Maryland

Elk Run
Merlot, 2005
USA, Maryland


Sunday night I opened the last bottle of wine on our rack. A sad day. We need to restock, which is always a fun day!

I wasn't really looking forward to opening the Elk Run. We visited the winery last year and the wines were interesting, but they didn't jump up and down begging to purchased. They sort of sat there and looked at you hoping their varietal lineage and good looks would make you bring her home. And we did. And I have to say, I'm happy I did.

Upon my first whiff, I was knocked out by the alcohol, setting my nose on fire. Eck! I decanted the entire bottle and gave it a good shakedown. After allowing the burn to vaporize and evaporate a bit, we were left with a lovely jammy berry and chewy aroma that enticed you to further explore the dark mahogany, garnet depths. Following the berry you were spanked with some leather and toasty vanilla notes.

When tasting commenced the drying tannins hit first like a sharp green pepper, followed by over-ripe plums and old, dry raisins. As the chewiness mellowed, you get chocolate covered dark cherries, sprinkled with a little dirt and warm spice.

After spending an evening seducing this Merlot, I have to say I'm pretty darn happy with her.

Good on ya Maryland.

1 comment:

Dancer in DC said...

I'm not a real Merlot fan, but I did find this quite drinkable.