Friday, February 20, 2009

Turkey Version

Last night's dinner was another from the new issue of Everyday Food. A year ago, Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia, inc. purchased the Emeril Lagasse brand from the man himself. An interesting idea...BTW, if anyone wants to buy my brand...for the right price, we can talk.

Anyway, the reason I bring this up, last night's dinner was an Emeril recipe that was in MSLO's Everyday Food. A lighter version of the classic Bolognese Sauce using turkey instead of beef & pork. It was good and I ate a giant plate. But I didn't love it! I'd make it again. It's certainly a great alternative for folks who don't eat red meat or the other white meat, but I felt there was something, I don't know what, but something lacking in the depth of flavor, which I find odd considering the effort we put in to create those flavor layers and depth. This sauce builds on itself, layer after layer, you'll see when you read the recipe. So I find this odd and that something was missing...

Well, let's get started.

The dish starts by using turkey bacon and once crispy and rendered, carrots, onions and celery are added. They chill out for awhile, then you add the ground turkey. Let that cook, then add white wine and garlic. More chilling out.

About half way through the cooking, you add tomato paste and ultimately some chicken broth and some half & half.

Serve with some hearty pasta. But still, something was missing...

Awww, fresh Parmigiano Reggiano.


As I said, it's good, but I think I prefer a more classic Bolognese sauce. (Here is a really great recipe and a fairly good recipe).

Emeril's Turkey Bolognese
(serves 8)

10 slices turkey bacon, finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
3 carrots, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
salt & pepper
2 pounds ground turkey
3/4 cup dry white wine, Sauvignon Blanc
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
1 can (14.5 oz) chicken broth
1/2 cup half-and-half
1/4 cup chopped parsley

1) In a large, heavy pot cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 10 minutes. Add onions, celery and carrots; season with salt & pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 8-10 minutes.

2) Add the turkey; cook, breaking up meat with a spoon, until no longer pink, 8-9 minutes. Add the wine and garlic; cook until wine has almost evaporated, 10-15 minutes. Add tomato paste; cooking, stirring occasionlly, until lightly browned, 7-10 minutes.

3) Add broth and half-and-half; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce to a simmer, and cook until sauce is thick and creamy, about 30 minutes more.



I cut the recipe in half and intended to have 4 meals/2 evenings of dinner, out of it. I served a little too much last night and then I wanted some for lunch (I've eaten the same thing for lunch all week and need something new!), which left just a wee bit for another meal. So, not quite four full meals, but almost. So this full recipe could serve 6-8 for a big dinner.

2 comments:

Mia said...

This is on my list to make out of this month's issue, too. Glad to hear it turned out okay. i'll see if I can identify the missing link. :)

Dancer in DC said...

Yeah, it was not great, but I still devoured a plate of it.