Saturday, August 09, 2008

Buckle Up

The other night CB came over for the BBQ Chicken. He brought us a Blueberry Buckle he made. It was delicious. The recipe CB used is below, as he emailed to me, with his notes.

The blue carnage! We kept eating and eating; teeth turning blue.


This recipe came from America's Test Kitchen...

Ok, I changed a few things, first off, did not use skillet obviously. I increased everything by 50% except vanilla which I increased by even more. The original recipe called for Blackberries, I had Blueberries. The rest of changes in parenthesis.

Ingredients
Serves 6 to 8
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (I used salted)
4 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of fine sea salt
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract (I used two teaspoons)
Whipped cream, creme fraiche, or ice cream, for serving

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Melt butter in a large cast-iron skillet or ovenproof baking dish, in the oven, 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, place blueberries in a large bowl. Using a potato masher, mash blueberries to release their juices (I skipped this step) . If blueberries are tart, sprinkle with sugar.
4. In another large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add 1 cup sugar, milk, and vanilla extract; mix until well combined. Pour mixture into skillet and pour blueberries and their juices into the center. (melted butter seems to be everywhere, including mixing with berries)
5. Transfer skillet to oven and bake until top is golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the batter comes out clean, about 1 hour. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature with whipped cream, creme fraiche, or ice cream.

2 comments:

Dancer in DC said...

As I've said before - it's ALWAYS a good time for blueberries. This was a delicious way to have them!

Anonymous said...

I ate to much. I thought I would like the buckle part best, but no, it was the blueberries. SO GOOD C!!!!!