Friday, August 29, 2008

2 Dinners/2 Nights

Wednesday Night: Cashew Chicken

I don't normally get artistic when I'm sauteing my veggies, but I loved the colors!

Also exciting here, the peppers are from the Cheverly Community Market. Normally this recipe calls for bell peppers. I used three different types that we picked up at the last market. Some jalapenos and two others I'm not very familiar with. One of the non-jalapenos was really spicy, but great flavor. I tasted it to get a sense of the heat and all "Wooot that's HOT!" then I handed a piece to Jason to try and he's all "Mmmm...HOLY CRAP." He didn't hear me! Ooops.

Here's the final dish. I like to add the cashews at the very end when I have a sense of quantity and how much we'll be serving and how much we'll be saving for leftovers. Well, we ate it all...we had company...but we ate it all. Very delicious.


Thursday Night: Steak Diane w/Glazed Carrots

Yes, I know...I talk about getting great things from the market, then I go and use baby carrots....from some place other than here! I had green beans...but they were bad! Gross and slimy. So I went with the other veg I had. It's ok. The main portion of this dinner is from the Market...

For the glazed carrots. Cut them into roughly the same bite sizes. Add to a skillet with 2 TB of butter and 1 1/4 cups of water. Season with salt and pepper and add 2 TB of brown sugar. Simmer until the carrots are tender and the water has evaporated, leaving these luscious, glazed carrots.

What makes Steak Diane is the sauce. Broth, mustard, tomato paste, Worchestshire sauce, shallots and some cream. I love the swirl of cream here.

The final dinner. The steak was purchased from the vendor at the Market who sells frozen meats. This is the second cut of beef we've tried from this vendor...this cut was better...sadly, I don't have the name of it. Overall, a very tasty dinner.

1 comment:

Dancer in DC said...

Two delicious classics!

I think the peppers were serrano, or something else that looks like a skinny poblano.

And the steak cut was sirloin, but I can't recall if it was top or whatever.