Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Strata-ify Me

As promised, the step-by-step of the Brioche & Asparagus Strata. Get the story and recipe behind the strata here.

~~~

Assemble your ingredients. Brioche (locally baked), Ricotta (fresh, local goats milk ricotta), Asparagus (locally grown), Eggs (locally raised), Milk (not local) and Parmesan (not local).

Slice the bread. I ultimately used 6 slices for my strata (which was slightly more than halved). Look at that golden eggy color.

I used a round casserole. Tuck the bread in there nice and tight, without squishing the bread.

Eggs!

Eggs and milk.

Eggs, Milk, Parm, Ricotta

Pour the egg mixture over the bread.

Allow the dish to sit in the fridge for at least one hour. The bread will soak up all the good flavors.

Meanwhile, cut your fresh aspargus up into bite sized pieces.
After the hour long soak, toss the asparagus ontop of the bread mixture and then cover with more parmesan.

Bake for one hour at 375.

So pretty and perfect for company. And the aroma was so delightful. Rich and tangy from the Parm, slightly 'green' from the asparagus.

Let the strata rest for a minute, then scoop and enjoy.

4 comments:

The Kara said...

It looks delish! Actually, I have to admit when I make it I don't use brioche but a different kind of bread that is soft in the middle that Whole Foods makes here. A nice quiche-like alternative and great for brunch!

Dancer in DC said...

Very delicious. I will say that asparagus is a bit past its season, so perhaps another vegetable would be a better choice if you're planning on making this at home. (Unless you very wisely bought some asparagus earlier this spring, blanched it and froze it.)

But the local delectable items really brought out a richness in buttery egg flavor.

Barbara said...

Wow those egg yolks are beautiful! The farmer's market close to home for me sells some fresh eggs, I may just have to get some next time I go.

Anonymous said...

I just did a strata with Gruyere Cheese and Spicy Italian Sausage. I posted it on my blog. Come take a look if you have a chance and let me know what you think. Love the blog, really love the pictures.

http://cookingquest.wordpress.com/2008/07/27/strata-with-spicy-italian-gruyere/

Thanks,

Joe