Tuesday, August 14, 2007

I asked and You asked

While I was on vacation, I asked you to ask me questions...and you did. Here you go. BTW: Anonymous folks...who are you?

Thanks NBC for the great logo and letting me borrow it!


ANON1 asked:
What is your least favorite type of food? I would say the foods I dislike most are broccoli and bivalves (mussels, clams, oysters). I’m not the most adventurous eater; however I am much more willing to try different foods and dishes today than I would have 5-10 years ago.

Are you allergic to any foods? I’m lactose intolerant, so I have to watch the diary intake.

What kind of things do you take into consideration when cooking for you and your partner? Are there foods you shy away from because you know he will not like them? We have some of the same dislikes, bivalves, mushrooms, and some others. Our likes are pretty similar as well. There are some things that J-lo likes that I don’t, but I will find ways to work them into a dinner if I can. The eternal debates will always center on Jif or Skippy peanut butter and Veleveeta Shells and Cheese or Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.

What would you like to try to make that you never have? I had always wanted to make a cheesecake and I finally did this past winter/spring. I’m pretty pleased with the items I have been making. That said, I would like to have a more successful go at cakes. Unless they come from a box, I’m not pleased with the final results.

Do you wish that you lived somewhere that had a better selection of stores to buy exotic ingredients?
I am really blessed living where I do. The DC Metro area is incredibly diverse and the neighborhood I live in has several ethnic markets. I have been so some of them, but there are others I haven’t made it too yet.

What are the essentials that you believe every kitchen should have as far as pots, pans, and electric devices?
A great pair of tongs. I have two non-stick skillets which I love, but I really really love the enameled cast iron. They are very easy to clean and create great sauces. A nice silicone spatula and a sturdy wooden spoon. No joke, I love my mixer and food processor, but they are not necessary. With practice and patience, anyone can work around those tools. A pepper mill. I don’t remember when I bought my first one, but I feel like I’ve had one forever. A sturdy, sharp chef’s knife. I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of right now.

How do you really feel about Martha Stewart?
As much as I have personally trashed on Martha in the past, I have to give her proper recognition. She busted her ass bringing fine living to the masses and she did a great job doing it. Sure she has her flaws, everyone does. There have been many attempts to recreate the lifestyle maven, but very few have the class or style that Martha has.

Have you ever considered dumping your current profession and becoming a chef?
I have a dream project and it’s an intimate B&B in the country where meals would be provided breakfast, lunch and dinner, if the guests want. But that’s about as much of a professional chef I would want to be. I’ve read plenty behind the kitchen books and even read up on owning/operating a restaurant; it’s a professional I have much admiration for, but no desire to be part of. I feel that I cook for fun now and if I had to do it for money, I may not enjoy it.

What is your favorite Breakfast potato?
I love potatoes. A good, well seasoned home fry. Crispy & buttery shredded hashbrowns. A cheesy hashbrown casserole! As long as the potatoes are seasoned and don’t taste like oil, I’ll probably enjoy them.

Do you believe that you can eat healthy and be a great cook?
I’m sure you can, but it is something I do enough of. I have been altering my breakfast to be healthier and am working my way to lunch. But that nice dinner at home each night; that’s going to take some time. Our regular readers know how much I love my cream, butter and olive oil!

If you could go anywhere in the world for dinner, where would you go? Why?
Since I read Julia Child’s My Life in France, I really want to head to Paris. I didn’t have as much of a desire to head there before reading it.

Do you believe that most foods are better with little or no seasoning or do you believe that most foods need some sort of embellishment?
Just about everything can be enhanced with a little something. My favorite way to share this; a bowl of fresh, juicy, sweet melon, its great! But when you add a little sprinkle of salt; completely different and better!

Does being lactose intolerant impair your ability to enjoy great foods?
Yes and know. I know it’s going to give me trouble, but I still say yes!

Do you believe that your diet or the stress level in your life has a larger bearing on your immediate health?
Absolutely. When I am stress free, I feel really good. The minute I start worrying about things, I’m all over the place. Sick stomach. Headaches. I can totally tell when I’ve been eating low-fat, high fiber, nutrient rich meals. The minute I fall back to my old habits, I start to slow down.

If you won the lottery tomorrow and never had to work again a day in your life, what would you do with the rest of your life?
That ‘never work again’ thing doesn’t suit me. Perhaps I would work towards my dream B&B? Or maybe I would become a philanthropist and volunteer?

BARBARA asked:
What is your idea of the perfect dinner? First course would be a crisp, crunchy salad coated lightly in a tart vinaigrette, served with a dry white wine. Second course is either a herb roasted chicken or grilled steak and a juicy red wine. And a side of creamy risotto and/or mashed potatoes. Dessert is a straight forward crème brulee, no fancy flavor variations or add-ins, but it is served with fresh berries and bottle of Prosecco.

ANON2 asked:
If you could invite any 4 people, living or dead to a dinner party, who would you invite and what would you serve?
I love this question. I would invite Ella Fitzgerald, Patsy Cline, Janis Joplin and Madonna. I love music; it’s very important to me. These women played a major roll in music during their time, redefining the landscape as they moved forward. I would love to have them together in one room to talk to them about the differences during their time as musicians.

What to serve…that’s a tough one. Perhaps I’ll serve the aforementioned perfect dinner.

JACK asked
What do you consider the most erotic food? What food really gets your motor revving? This is a tough one. I would say it has to be a food that really speaks to the senses, especially aroma and texture.

JOYOUS asked
What deal did you strike with the devil to be so damn handsome?
What blog host are you talking about?

STEF asked
Is that your chocolate in my peanut butter? Or is that my peanut butter in your chocolate?
Can't we all just get along?

1 comment:

Dancer in DC said...

Clearly the only correct answers in our great food debate are Jif and Velveeta. Don't listen to him.

As for the foods I prefer that ScottE doesn't - olives, tuna, salmon are probably the biggest ones. Maybe artichokes? I forget if he'll tolerate grapefruit, but that's one I really like. There are some cheeses that I like that he doesn't prefer.

There are actually a very small number of foods that he'll eat that I won't. Cantaloupe and honeydew off the top of my head. Also he likes parmesean much more than I do. I like it just in small amounts, or mixed into the dish (like risotto).