Thursday, August 30, 2007

Haven't been that lazy

I haven't really been that lazy this week. We were social butterfly's this weekend, so we didn't get to do to much at home. I did make the Whoopee Pies for a wedding shower. Mmmm, so good. Here are the cakes cooling!



Last night we had grilled panini sandwiches! I love a good panini and these were pretty good. Not the best I've made, but really good. The best comes down to the best ingredients. My favorite is turkey, fresh mozzarella and roasted red peppers. These were honey baked ham, peppered salami and fresh mozzarella. The salami was a bit overpowering. I did season the sandwiches with some Italian seasoning, just for fun. Again, these were really good! But a step away from perfect. I make my paninis on my grill pan and press them with a grill press we received as a gift a few years ago. Before we received that I used a brick that I wrapped in foil. Great tool. If you don't have a brick or grill press, use a second pan and press down with your hand or a large can of something from the pantry.



On Sunday I also made the Caprese Pasta Salad. Followed the recipe I put together and it turned out great! I did one thing that was slightly different and a big help. The tomatoes were way under-ripe. I peeled, seeded and diced the tomatoes as normal. Then sprinkle with salt AND sugar. About 1/2 a teaspoon of each. Let sit for a few hours in the fridge. Before using, drain off excess moisture. This helps perk up the flavors of a fairly flavorless tomato.

(sorry, no photo)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how do you take such great photos of all the food? it always looks so scrumptious. i guess you have nice plates. mmmmm!

ScottE. said...

I think it's luck. I don't do anything special with the camera...just get it right up to the food and click.