I am making cookies for my first day of my new job. I know, I know...it's insane and completely 100% dorktastic.
So...I made two cookies.
Here is the first:
Chocolate Kahlua Whoopee Pies
with Vanilla Mascarpone Cream Filling
drooool!Makes 10 Pies
8 TB unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 tsp Kahlua
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup milk
4 TB unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, room temperature
Seeds scraped from 1 Vanilla Bean
3 Cups powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment papper.
2. Using a stand mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until light in texture. Add egg and liqueur. Beat until blended. On low speed add flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Beat until well blended, and crumbly. Add milk and beat until smooth.
3. Drop batter from a round Tablespoon onto prepared cookie sheet, spacing cookies about 3 inches apart. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until center springs back when lightly pressed. Cool completely before filling.
4. Using a stand mixer on low speed, mix all ingredients until well blended. Whip on high speed 3 to 4 minutes or until fluffy.
5. Using a knife or a small spatula, spread a generous amount of filling on bottom of one cookie. Press bottom of another cookie on top of filling ot form sandwich. Wrap pies in plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving.
I got this recipe from a magazine I picked up a few two or three weeks ago. I've been dying to try this since then. And they are perfect! And really quite easy. I followed the recipe almost exactly. I only used the 1/2 cup of cocoa I put in the ingredients above. The original called for 3/4 of a cup. I think perhaps, now having tried them, that maybe 2 TB of Kahlua instead of 2 tsp. Oh, and the magazine is called Intermezzo; Fine interludes in Food, Wine, Home & Travel.
Made these again. Some step by step photos here.