Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Little Debbie better watch her ass

Cuz it's on!

I am making cookies for my first day of my new job. I know, I know...it's insane and completely 100% dorktastic.

So...I made two cookies.

Here is the first:

Chocolate Kahlua Whoopee Pies
with Vanilla Mascarpone Cream Filling


drooool!
Makes 10 Pies

For Cakes:
8 TB unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tsp Kahlua
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 cup milk

For Filling:
4 TB unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese, room temperature
Seeds scraped from 1 Vanilla Bean
3 Cups powdered sugar

1. Preheat oven to 375. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment papper.

2. Using a stand mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and sugar until light in texture. Add egg and liqueur. Beat until blended. On low speed add flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Beat until well blended, and crumbly. Add milk and beat until smooth.

3. Drop batter from a round Tablespoon onto prepared cookie sheet, spacing cookies about 3 inches apart. Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until center springs back when lightly pressed. Cool completely before filling.

Make filling:

4. Using a stand mixer on low speed, mix all ingredients until well blended. Whip on high speed 3 to 4 minutes or until fluffy.

5. Using a knife or a small spatula, spread a generous amount of filling on bottom of one cookie. Press bottom of another cookie on top of filling ot form sandwich. Wrap pies in plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving.

~+~+~+~

I got this recipe from a magazine I picked up a few two or three weeks ago. I've been dying to try this since then. And they are perfect! And really quite easy. I followed the recipe almost exactly. I only used the 1/2 cup of cocoa I put in the ingredients above. The original called for 3/4 of a cup. I think perhaps, now having tried them, that maybe 2 TB of Kahlua instead of 2 tsp. Oh, and the magazine is called Intermezzo; Fine interludes in Food, Wine, Home & Travel.

UPDATES:
Made these again. Some step by step photos here.

6 comments:

ScottE. said...

The second cookie note will come later.

I have to get the sugar high I'm on from sampling to go away first.

DC Food Blog said...

That's hardcore. Now i am dyng to see what hte second cookie was. I'm glad you are using your week off for good instead of evil.

Stef said...

Oh my God, can you come work in an office with me?!?! Oh, that's right, you did once. And I got to sample some good stuff! :-)

Dancer in DC said...

This is sinfully good! Great with a tall, cold glass of milk.

ScottE. said...

The second cookie is not as exciting as this, but still good. Might load that one in tonight.

Barbara said...

Whoopie pies! I LOVE whoopie pies. Mom made them when we were little and they've always had comfort food thing goin on for me ever since.