Saturday, August 04, 2007

A few of my favorite things

Grilled Corn On The Cob

Peel off a few of the outer layers of the husk and soak your fresh cobs in a container of cool water for an hour or so. When you're ready to get started on dinner, place the cobs on a hot grill (or for us grill impaired apartment dwellers, a grill pan.) Rotate as they cook. About 4-5 minutes per side, for a total of approximately 20 minutes.

My Cobs were served with a little compound butter I made. Fresh butter, lime zest & juice of 1/2 the lime, ancho chile powder, pinch of salt and a grind of pepper. Mix together and refrigerate. Peel the husks off the corn and spread over the hot corn! Perfect!

Fresh Strawberries and Cream with Granola

The strawberries were quartered and then some lightly whipped cream was spooned over the top. Sprinkle with your favorite granola. Divine!

5 comments:

The Kara said...

We did this corn last night and it was fantastic! Of course, starting out with beautiful, fresh Jersey corn helped - but you were right on target, Scott - EVERYONE loved it. We cooked ours for 15 minutes b/c my bro had the grill roaring and the verdict came in quickly = DELISH!

ScottE. said...

PS: I consider the corn to have four sides, therefore the approximate 20 minutes.

The Kara: That's great! Rock on! I know where Petri was coming from. For some reason I remember corn taking HOURS when I was a kid, it never seemed like a 'fast, quick, easy' vegetable, when it was on the cob.

Dancer in DC said...

AND we had yummy beer brats. Talk about a filling meal.

Anonymous said...

Do you take the corn silk off before grilling?

ScottE. said...

I snipped off the parts of the silk coming out of the husk, but I didn't open the husk up to remove all the silks. I did this only so I didn't have too much smoke. When I was a kid in the country, we didn't even do this when we were using the grill.