Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Adding Pineapple?

I made the Thai Basil Chicken last night for dinner.
I made a few variations on the recipe.


1) I didn't mix the chicken with the egg white/cornstarch blend. I just sauted the chicken naked and let it cook. I figured the last time that the cornstarch might help thicken the sauce. So at the very end, I added a little cornstarch that was dissolved in water to thicken, worked great. Also because I didn't use the egg/cornstarch mix, I only used about 1 TB of oil for what was 4 servings. Good! No additional added fat!

2) Giant didn't have jalapenos, but they had habaneros. So I did two of those. Wahoo it was spicy. I like the spice, but the habaneros have a different pepper flavor than a jalapeno or Thai Chili. So maybe I'll stick with the jalapeno, or find the Thai chilis. Maybe add an extra dash of chili flakes to the oil while it's getting hot!

3) I added pineapple based on a recommendation from the last time. It worked really well. I also added cashews. Not worth it. I'll skip that addition the next time.

4) Thai Basil. I still had my Thai basil from the garden. But I added more. I'm wondering if I added too much? I can't tell. But there was a certain extra flavor I couldn't pinpoint and I'm wonder if it was the extra basil???? BTW: it wasn't a pleasant flavor, so maybe it was a spot of extra strenght fish sauce???

Overall: Good changes. The pineapple was fun. Makes it a nice sweet dish that handles the heat very well. I like not having as much oil in the recipe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY i win!

i had chicken carbonara last night. and steamed clams tonight. YUM :)

xoxo -- w

Dancer in DC said...

Definitely spicier, but more delicious.