Wednesday, January 24, 2007

You Devils

So the other night I made the Warm French Lentil Salad and Deviled Pork Chops. Very delicious. And super easy. I might have mentioned before, but I'm not a fan of mustard, but when it's mixed into the right things, I'm finding I enjoy what it brings to the party.

These chops are deviled because of the "spicy" flavors they have. A touch of heat from the mustard and from the cayenne pepper. But don't think they are HOT. It's a very mild heat that is tempered by the sweetness of the brown sugar.

As you'll see in the pictures, I grilled the chops on my grill pan. The recipe calls for broiling. My broiler works great, but I have no control over the heat of the broiler or how far from the flame I can place the food. For that reason alone, I decided to grill the chops. Worked Great!!! I can see these becoming a regular feature on a summer grill!

Deviled Pork Chops
From Fine Cooking
Serves 4

¼ cup Dijon mustard
1 TB firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
¼ tsp ground cayenne
4 1-inch-thick, bone-in center-cut loin pork chops (2 ½ - 3 lbs.)
Kosher salt
1 TB coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (optional)

Stir together the mustard, brown sugar, lemon juice, Worcestershire, and cayenne in a small bowl.

Position and oven rack 3 to 4 inches from the broiler element and heat the broiler to high. Lin the bottom of a broiler pan with foil and replace the perforated top part of the pan. Arrange the pork on the broiler pan and season generously on both sides with salt. Brush about half of the mustard mixture over the top of the chops. Broil until the chops are deeply browned in spots 6 to 8 minutes. Turn the chops over with tongs, brush with the remaining mixture, and continue to broil until the pork is browned and cooked through (an instant-read thermometer in the center of a chop should register 145F), about 5 minutes more. Let rest a few minutes before serving. Sprinkle the better looking sides of the chops with parsley, if using, and transfer to serving plates.


Hanging out on the grill pan.

Silly me. The chops ended up on the "beef" plate! I scooped the lentils on the "pork" plate by accident. Ooops.

Deviled Pork Chops with Warm French Lentil Salad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was lucky enough to be there and I can honestly say that everything was perfect. The chops were done to perfection and the Lentils were a percfect compliment.