Sunday, September 10, 2006

Pain in my Perdu

Pain Perdu is French Toast...literally "lost bread" and that means delicious. Every person I've watched make french toast has made it differently, but there is a basic recipe that all french toast starts from.

This breakfast was really rich and tasty. I've made some good french toasts before (pecan crusted once and another time stuffed with marscapone cheese...mmmm), but this one was really great and I think there is one reason; homemade brioche!!!

We had special bacon with the french toast. Mmmm, bacon. I'm pretty positive that the special bacon was something I saw Rachel Ray do on her show.

French Toast with "special bacon"

Bacon:
1/2 lb bacon
1-2 TB brown sugar
Black Pepper

French Toast:
4-6 slices of good bread (Brioche, Challah, Sourdough, etc.)
4-6 eggs
3/4 cup milk
pinch of salt
fresh grated nutmeg (I used 1/2 a nutmeg; maybe 1 tsp)
1 TB brown sugar
1-2 TB butter

Preheat oven to 375.

Start with the bacon. Layout the bacon on a parchment lined, rimmed, baking sheet. Lightly sprinkle with the brown sugar and then give a few grinds of fresh black pepper on top.

Place in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, until done to your perfection (chewy to crispy, or just in between).



While the bacon is in the oven, start the french toast. Mix the eggs and milk in a baking dish. Add the nutmeg, brown sugar and pinch of salt.

When the bacon comes out of the oven, start the cooking process. Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add a few slices of the bread to the egg mixture. Allow the bread to soak up the custard. This amount of time can range, for thinner, fresher bread, this can just be a short time, seconds even. For bread that this thicker or more stale, it may need some extra time to soak. I had two different thicknesses of bread. The thinner bread was about 1/4 inch thick, these soaked for about 30 seconds per side. The thicker bread was nearly an inch thick and those soaked for about a minute per side.

Add some butter to your hot skillet. When melted, lift your bread out of the custard, allow excess to drip off and gently lay in the skillet, I lowered the heat to medium heat. Cook for a few minutes per side until golden brown and delicious.


Serve with your favorite syrup or jam. Enjoy.

7 comments:

Brunette said...

You're *terrible.*

When you posted about your fantastic brioche adventure, I was hoping that you'd use some of it for French toast. Glad to hear that it's turned out so well! I bet this would taste amazing with some strawberry or raspberry preserves.

Dancer in DC said...

That is a lot of sweet! But very good. This is like having your whole breakfast wrapped up - eggs, toast, syrup...

And please use real maple syrup. If you can't read the ingredients, it does NOT belong on your french toast.

DC Food Blog said...

It looks like you two split the difference on the thickness of the toast.

ScottE. said...

Yes I did, because I'm a sweetheart. I actually had one of the thinner ones, I think in the way I made them this time around, the thinner ones were actually a little better.

ScottE. said...

The bacon is really good, but there was a touch too much sweetness with this particular meal. I do plan to make the bacon in the oven though again in the future...no splattering!

Lady Brandenburg said...

Hmmmm... I would like French Toast for dinner please... or is that my hormones talking... nah, I like breakfast for dinner anytime.

(Unfortunately I am allergic to "real" maple anything - so I have a love affair with Aunt Jemima)

Barbara said...

Hon, you can fix me french toast anytime. That looks so good!