Saturday, September 09, 2006

A Brisket, A Tasket

A few weeks ago, after we had the "smoked carrot cake incident" we headed out to a b-day party for Lord B where we dined on burgers and salads and some other goodies. One of the other dishes was this great tasting beef brisket and I insisted I had to have the recipe! I got it! THANKS S!

What a simple recipe! The recipe I received was for a 4-6 lb brisket, I had a 2 lb version, so here is my altered version:

Braised Brisket
serves 3-4
prep time: 5-10 minutes
cooking time: 3 hours

Approximately 2 lb beef brisket
Salt/Pepper
Juice from 1 lime
2 medium onions, sliced
2 tsp liquid smoke (After searching three stores, I found hickory flavor)
1/2 cup water


Heat oven to 350.

Place 1/2 the onions in the bottom of a baking pan that will fit the brisket.

Use 1/2 the lime juice and 1 tsp of the liquid smoke on each side of the brisket. Season with salt and pepper.

Lay the brisket on top of the onions, and place the remaining onions on top.

Place in the oven. Cook for one and a half hours. Remove and cover with foil and return to the oven for another hour and a half.

Remove from oven and allow to rest of 10 minutes. Slice or chop the brisket. Serve with a little drizzle of the cooking liquid and onions.

YUM!

4 comments:

Dancer in DC said...

This was one of those that "tastes like more." I'm such a fan of slow roasting, slow-cooking soups, etc. You wait and you wait, but oh, is it worth it!

Stef said...

A friend of mine makes a fabulous brisket on his grill. I think he uses a Lawry's dry rub to start, but then when it's all cooked and tender he slices it up and serves it with Dinosaur BBQ sauce for dipping. Honest to God, it nearly made me weep. I first tasted it at a party he had, and I made him have another party just so we could eat that brisket again!

Stef said...

PS - Aren't ya glad I'm back on the meat?!? ;-)

ScottE. said...

OMG, this is sooo good as a left over! Having it for lunch. Delish!!!