Monday, June 12, 2006

Caribbean & Curry Flavors

Tonight's dinner was courtesy of Fine Cooking...and it really is about as simple as you can get. We had cumin-coriander & tumeric spiced rubbed chicken that was grilled on our baby grill. The chicken was then served with pineapple salsa with radishes, peppers and cilantro. (sort of)

The chicken...in a small bowl mixed: 1 TB dark brown sugar, 2 tsp ground coriander, 2 tsp ground cumin, 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp kosher salt, 3/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/2 tsp ground tumeric. Then sprinkle and rub onto a pound of chicken. I had a pound of chicken tenders, I grilled those on our little grill.

Chicken Little!

The chicken was served with a fresh little salsa...mix all the following in a bowl and let stand while cooking the chicken: 1/2 fresh pineapple cut into small cubes, 4 large radishes trimmed and cut into a small dice, 1/2 orange pepper cut into a small dice, small handful of cilantro chopped, 2 TB fresh lime juice and kosher salt and fresh pepper.

My Giant sort of sucked today, so I didn't have radishes or cilantro...I improvised...needed something green, something crunchy, something red and something a little peppery. So I used a little celery, parsley, tomatoes and jalapeno...all cut into a small dice.

The salsa doing the cha cha!

I served with jasmine rice flavored with lime juice and parsley.
It looked really good!


And then for dessert...this weekend we made a trip to Eastern Market (more in a day or two on that) and I picked up some fresh strawberries...there was some left over pineapple and I found a jar of NUTELLA>>>>! YEAH BABY! Better than fondue!!!!

Oh Sweet Jebus it was sooo tasty!


A good dinner when all is said and done. The chicken was good...and the salsa was interesting, I'm sure we'll have this again...but in the meantime, Fine Cooking had two other spice rub/salsa combinations I might try!

5 comments:

ScottE. said...

Hey Chilefire! The chicken did need the salsa, it was good, but there was a level of flavor that was absent with out...

The grill is a little coleman propane thing. When it's all cleaned up, it comes apart to about the size of a 12 pack of corona.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Lady Brandenburg said...

Chilefire - I was just asking ScottE about you yesterday - I'm thinking about you and Mrs. Chilefire!!!! Fiona is a lucky girl - you tell her to come on out - the world is waiting!!!

Scott, I haven't had Nutella in a million. YUUUUMMMMM.

Dancer in DC said...

The chicken was surprisingly warm - couldn't figure out why, but then we realized it was the ginger. Made my face sweat a bit - nice!

Pineapple salsa is just yummy.

Nutella is from the good lord above!

All our best wishes to you and Mrs. Chilefire - I know Fiona will be a beauty!

Stef said...

These photos get my vote for your most attractive-looking meal ever. The chicken-salsa combo sounds amazing, and dessert looks divine. Do you take reservations? Cuz I'd love a table for 1 sometime soon! ;-)

Good luck to the Chilefire family!!!

Barbara said...

That looks great!