Monday, March 13, 2006

Worth The Trip

A few months ago, J-lo mentioned that he and some co-workers went on a lunch adventure, not to far from my office. I was intrigued.

On Friday, when I was out enjoying the weather and looking for a place to grab a bite, my eye caught a tiny sign that directed me down an alley to a barely noticeable door, up a few steps, and through the rabbit hole to wonderland.

The Well Dressed Burrito is in fact tucked into a hidden door down on alley off of 19th Street.

I highly suggest a trip!!!

After walking cautiously through the alley, I stepped into the brightly lite, yet not bright restaurant space that was packed full of people.

You step up to the counter and order from a manageable menu, but still overwhelming for a newcomer. You have your burritos, fajitas, tacos, nachos, flautas, chimichangas and quesadillas. There are also some salads and a Burrito Burger, which is your burger, dressed with onions, tomatoes, salsa and bleu cheese, wrapped in a flour tortilla.

I ordered the “marinated beef” burrito. And a small bag of tortilla chips. This thing was huge! HUGE! And OMG delicious. And soooo not good for you. I requested my burrito with no beans, but left everything else in there….shredded marinated beef in a meat sauce with onions, rice, cheese, sour cream and tomatoes.

The beef was tender, moist and very flavorful, the sauce was great, but a ‘wee’ (a whole lot) oily….but again very good. The rice was rice. The tomatoes though. WOW, they were ripe and tasty. Normally I’m not a fan of tomatoes because they usually are not ripe, these were and very good.

I managed to find a space to sit in the restaurant…there are like four tables and 3 chairs. I would have liked to go outside, but since 95% of Washington DC was outside on Friday, the chance of finding a bench to sit at was slim to none…and this is a burrito you have to sit to eat.

When all was said and done, I got through about 2/3rds of the beast and about 100 napkins. YUM. There were some other very interesting items there, some burritos that looked more on the healthy side with shrimp and spinach and broccoli. I do plan on going back and try some more of their dishes. Don’t be afraid of the alley.

The Well Dressed Burrito
“somewhere in an alley”
1220 19th Street NW
Washington, DC


Oh, FYI…they WDB is owned and operated by the same folks who run CF FOLKS. They are the catering company I use 99% of the time for my catered lunches at work I organize. They provide great sandwiches, salad with amazing basil balsamic dressing, sliced fruit and baked treats for a pretty reasonable price that includes delivery…as we’re just around the corner. I’d recommend them.

3 comments:

Dancer in DC said...

It is pretty good - I wasn't crazy about the choice I made the first time, but I want to go back for more. The ingredients are definitely fresh. And as Rachael Ray always says - if the place is very busy, that means lots of turnover and fresh food!

DC Food Blog said...

Wel lDressed Burrito is like the Hernado's Hideaway of burrito joints.

Lady Brandenburg said...

Tom S. has mentioned this in the Post - I know it's well hidden. Hmmm... will have to try soon!!!!