Monday, February 22, 2010

BBQ


This past weekend we took in another opportunity to try one of the 100 restaurants highlighted by the Washingtonian as one of the best of 2009's "Cheap Eats." This adventure brought us to Bowie, Maryland for some pretty good BBQ.

KBQ Real Barbeque
12500B1 Fairwood Parkway
Bowie, MD 20720
301.352.8111
www.kbqrealbarbecue.com

Washingtonian Review

Thoughts:

This was good. As you can see I ordered up the pulled pork platter with two sides; Baked Beans and Mac & Cheese.

What I loved was the naked pork. Just smokey and pulled. Not drenched is sauce, you get to add that on your own. It's nice to get just the meat. Great flavor and plenty moist. Not having the sauce on the meat, gives you the opportunity to try one of two sauces that were shared with us. Original and Spicy. I preferred the flavor of the original and the spicy had just the tiniest bit of kick to it. So when I used the sauce, I mixed the two!

The beans were tender, sweet and peppery. The mac & cheese was some of the best BBQ joint mac & cheese I've had.

DancerinDC ordered the ribs, mac & cheese and cole slaw. He loved the ribs. I had a little taste. They were good. Just off the grill taste, and again, no sauce to smother the meat. The slaw, he said was tasty, but swimming in sauce.


Overall, I'd go back again, but I'm not sure I would make this a destination BBQ trip. If you're in the area, it's worth a stop. If you need to drive, consider really taking the time and heading to Carter Cue in Mt. Airy, MD.

2 comments:

DancerInDC said...

I would have to agree. If I was on the way to/from Bowie for shopping, I wouldn't hesitate to stop here for a good lunch.

Cris said...

Okay, this looks amazing, reminds me of my favorite BBQ place in Texas called Threadgills. I need to stop by.