Friday, January 08, 2010

Dinner Rolls

AWESOME!!!!


We were invited to our neighbor's house for dinner and I wanted to bring something. But I wasn't up for grocery shopping and we didn't really have much in the house. So I decided to make some bread! But I wanted to try something a little different. I wanted to try making rolls instead of a loaf.

Success! I used the Simple French Bread recipe from Mark Bittman.

After the bread dough has risen the first time, I kneaded the dough to get the air out and redistribute the yeast. I then divided the dough equally, I think I had about 10-12 small pieces. Roll the pieces of dough into balls. These will need to rise for an additional 2 hours. Take a muffin tin and line it with a clean cotton towel. Push the towel into each muffin cup. Dust with flour. Place the dough balls into the towel lined cups. Cover with a warm, damp towel and let rise for two hours.

When you are ready to bake the dough, pre-heat the oven to 450.

Remove the top towel you are covering the dough with. Then flip the muffin pan, gently, onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Carefully remove the towel that was lining the muffin pan. If you need to, gently re-form the dough into balls.

Using a sharp knife, cut a cross pattern into the top of each roll. This will help the bread to rise and steam to escape.

Using a misting bottle, spray the inside of your oven with water. Place the dough in the center of the oven. For the next ten minutes, spray water 3 times. This will help give a crisp crust to the final rolls.

After the first ten minutes, turn the heat to 350 and bake for 30 minutes. The rolls will be golden brown. You can use a thermometer to check the internal temperature; it should be 210.

Allow the rolls to cool, then ENJOY!

2 comments:

Edana said...

Love your blog--everything looks delicious! I'll have to try some of the recipes myself :)

http://edanacooks.blogspot.com/

The Kara said...

ScottE, you are the only person I know who doesn't feel like going grocery shopping SO you make your own bread - lol. The rolls looks great!