Friday, December 18, 2009

Baby It's Cold Outside

Make some soup! We treated ourselves to a big pot of Corn Chowder the other night. Very tasty, filling and totally hit the spot on a chilly day. This is my vegetarian version of the recipe. Use vegetable broth! That's it. Otherwise, I don't generally add any meat or seafood, just broth and veggies.



Butter, Onions, Potatoes, Spices. The recipe calls for 2 tsp of Cayenne pepper. That can be too much. I used 1 tsp this time and it was just right, but that still might be to hot for some folks.

Add the corn and broth.

When the soup comes to a simmer, I add the peppers. I don't like to overcook them, so I add them about half way through the cooking. Once the potatoes are tender, you're good to add the milk and cream, warm it up and serve it up.

We each had a large bowl of soup and there were about three larger servings for leftovers.


1 comment:

DancerInDC said...

Yum! So good and SPICY for a cold winter's night. Cayenne is supposed to be some kind of wonder spice, associated with all kinds of health benefits. So don't back down.

For the vegans out there (are there any vegans out there?) you could of course use soy-based ingredients to substitute for the dairy, and still have a very good soup. (I've heard.)