Monday, June 01, 2009

You had me at hello

SeaGlass Sauvignon Blanc
Santa Barbara County, California
2007

One of the things I love about wine is the label art. Wine labels can be trendy and arty, or swirly and classical, over done or simplistic. I try not to be enticed to purchase a wine by the label, but this is one that I couldn’t help myself. And I'm thrilled that my common sense lost out! The label perfectly evokes the mellow, calm mood I want to enjoy while sipping cool vino on a warm summer day. I love this wine and I hope I can continue to find it. Refreshing and crisp, this wine has a small nose to it, but the aromas that come through are solidly green veggies (asparagus, green beans) and grass with hints of seductive flowers; a little orchid, a soft rose, maybe even a lemony iris. The palate is clean and light with a strong zippy gooseberry approach and soft tropical fruits on the backend. After enjoying a glass or two with dinner, we finished the bottle with some freshly picked strawberries. I was amazed how the tart citrus/green grapefruit notes that I love in a Sauvignon Blanc were tamed into submission, allowing the background flavors of sweet melons, mango and pineapple to come forward and dominate. Wonderful. I can’t wait to buy this wine again!

No comments: