Friday, February 13, 2009

Ultra Beefy Chili

On Wednesday night we had the second half of our most recent "Two from One" meal. Previously I had a large hunk of braised beef that was to serve as two unique meals. The first was the braised beef with vegetables. I thought I would take the leftovers and turn it into a pot of chili. It worked pretty well.


If you have chili powder, you can use it. I thought I did, but oops...I didn't, so I mixed up something that worked pretty well.


For one hour, I simmered the leftover beef in a can of diced tomatoes and the juice, plus half of a 8oz can of tomato sauce. I seasoned the whole pot with 5 teaspoons of my spice mixture. If the chili is too thick, you can thin it out with some broth (chicken or beef).


I served the chili over rice. It was really tasty, extra beefy and full of lots of fun flavors.



Here's my blend of chili seasoning. Like I mentioned above, use a chili powder you have, if not, this works really well. I recommend playing around to find a blend you like.

Scott's Chili Seasoning:
1 tsp each: cumin, paprika, oregano, parsley, salt
1/2 tsp each: chimayo chile powder, coriander
1/4 tsp each: ancho chile powder, onion powder, cinnamon, black pepper
1/8 tsp each: chipotle chile powder, garlic powder, cocoa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Another idea for leftover braised beef is to turn into the filling for a tamale! Its a completely different flavor and presentation. Plus they freeze really well!

Dancer in DC said...

Thus ends a demonstration that "chili" does not have to be a soupy concoction full of beans! (I love that stuff, too. But still.)