Monday, February 09, 2009

Pizza! Pizza!

Saturday night was game night. I decided to make pizza as an easy way to feed 5 people. I used the dough recipe from America's Test Kitchen. I did the pizza in a 1/2 sheet baking pan. Also, I used fresh mozzarella that I stuck in the freezer for about 30 minutes, so I could grate it.


I think the pizza was pretty darn tasty. The five of us had a few pieces each and then snacked on chips and pretzels later. Very nice! I tried to make the pizza a little lower in sodium for one guest. Couldn't find a way around it with the pepperoni. The cheese was easy. The fresh moz had at least 1/2 the amount of sodium as the drier, pre-shredded variety from the store. The sauce was also homemade so I was able to use less there, ditto with the dough.

I did burn one corner of the pizza though. Bummer. Still tasty!

3 comments:

Stef said...

It's pretty! Why is fresh moz lower in sodium? Is the grated stuff salted?

ScottE. said...

The packaged, pre-shredded mozzarella contains more salt for a stronger flavor and to act as a preservative, giving a longer shelf life.

Fresh Moz has more water and a softer, creamier texture and mild flavor, as well as it is 'fresh' so it can go bad quicker than the packaged stuff. It still has plenty of sodium, but not nearly as much as the other kind.

I usually use the packaged cheese when I make most of my pizzas at home. Unless I'm doing a fancier tomato, basil, moz pizza, then I use the fresh.

In this case I was looking for less sodium for a guest, so I went with fresh.

It was good, but as the fresh moz cooks, it releases some of it's water and will require a little extra cooking time for that water to evaporate.

Anonymous said...

I had this pizza, it was very good. I did not notice any burned piece...
Of course, coming from WI, I have eaten burned cheese a lot and consider it a treat.