Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Three Nights in a Row

Woohoo. I'm on a roll.

Tonight I made some this quick, easy, simplified
Chicken Enchiladas with Mole Sauce.

Let's get started, shall we?


You need a flavor base for the mole sauce. Onions & garlic in olive oil with herbs and spices. Toasting the spices in the olive oil brings out their flavors.


When the flavor base is read, add some tomato sauce and some baking chocolate. For this version I also added a little honey to temper the slightly bitter flavor of the chocolate. It was a nice, subtle addition. About 1 tablespoon. Also, this time I had boneless, skinless chicken thighs that I wanted to braise in the sauce, so I added about 1/2 cup of water to make the sauce a little thinner, for braising purposes. I added the chicken, covered and simmered for 20 minutes.


When the chicken is done, chop it into bite size pieces. Make the enchiladas by adding chicken and cheese. If you have some veg you'd like, go ahead and add it. Roll the tortillas and place, seam side down in a baking dish. Spoon some sauce over the top, sprinkle with cheese. Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted, lightly brown and bubbly.

Enjoy! Spoon over additional sauce if you like. Serve with sour cream. Yum.

1 comment:

Dancer in DC said...

This is so delicious, it's one of my favorites. It comes together pretty quickly and is versatile. As Scott mentioned, you could easily turn this into a vegetarian dish by filling your tortillas with vegetables like bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, tomatillos...you get the idea.

This was our first time having it with chicken thighs instead of breasts, and I liked it just as much, if not more.