Saturday, November 22, 2008

Mustard Roasted Potatoes

I feel bad. I saw something like this on a blog yesterday, I skimmed through it, thought it looked good and now I can't remember which one it was!!! So, if any of my readers recognize this, please remind me.

So...Mustard Roasted Potatoes...yum. This came together beautifully and overall, we had a great dinner.

Let's get started...

Preheat your oven to 400.

Potatoes...I say use what you want. I used two medium/large russet potatoes, peeled and cubed to about 3/4 square. This gave me a yield of about 2-3 cups.

Put the potatoes in a large bowl and mix with 1-2 TB Dijon mustard, 1-2 TB olive oil, several grinds of black pepper and a few pinches of salt. For a little extra flavor, I finely diced 1 medium shallot. Mix until the potatoes are well coated.

Pour the potatoes out onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Don't crowd the potatoes, give them some room. Toss in the oven for about 45 minutes. Check after 30 and adjust based on the workings of your oven. Adjust a final time for salt & pepper.

Serve hot.

Potatoes, Mustard, Shallots, Olive Oil, Pepper, Salt.


Well mixed.


Ready to bake.


Golden brown and delicious.


I served the potatoes with green bean almandine and pan seared, smoked pork chops.

A perfect dinner. The mustard flavor was there, but not overpowering. It played well with the smoked pork. Nice.



UPDATE 11/24/08: I found the original blog post that got me thinking about making this recipe. Check out Smitten Kitchen for a more detailed recipe.

4 comments:

Dancer in DC said...

Such a delicious meal! The tangy flavor of the mustard is mellowed by the fluffy warmth of the potatoes. Definitely a handy side dish to have in your repertoire.

gaga said...

Yum. I love potatoes no matter how you make them but these look extra delicious!

Lady Brandenburg said...

Tried this last night, but couldn't taste the mustard. I I guess I didn't put enough in (we used six potatoes because we wanted leftovers). Maybe all the Grey Poupon steamed off of them?
Still yummy, just not mustard-y. What did I do wrong?

ScottE. said...

Lady B...for 6 potatoes, I would have used 4-6 TB of mustard.