Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Calzone

I mentioned in the post about the Pan Pizza, that I reserved 1/2 the dough for a later use. I bagged it in a zip top bag and left in the fridge for two days. Last night I used it up! To make a calzone. My first calzone.

***

To start, you need the dough and sauce from the Pan Pizza recipe. Using half the dough, roll it out into a circle, about 12-14 inches wide.

Make some filling...your choice. I used 1/2 cup of browned, crumbled sausage. 1/4 cup of sliced pepperoni, cut into quarters. Nuke the pepperoni for 30 seconds to remove some extra fat, again, see the Pan Pizza recipe. I also had about 1/4 cup of diced onion and 1/4 cup diced pepper. Start by browning the sausage, then add the onion, peppers, then the pepperoni. Stir together. Add enough pizza sauce to bind all the ingredients together.

Now add the filling to the center of the pizza dough. Add cheese. I used about a cup of shredded mozzarella and a sprinkle of parm. Now you need to seal up the Calzone.

Stretch the dough over the filling and begin to pinch a seal. Before you begin, lightly moisten the edge of the dough. This will help it seal together as you do the seal. Hard to describe, but start on one side and pinch. Then lift half of that pinch and an unpinched section. Pinch. Move half a lenght over...you can see the pattern in the photo above. My instructions aren't great. Sorry.

Once sealed, slice in some vents for steam to escape and if you like, brush the top with olive oil or egg wash. I used some olive oil.

I then sprinkled the top with a little more parm. Now bake for 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven.

Remove the hot and steamy Calzone from the oven. Allow to rest for a minute.

Devour! This was very satisfy. Serve with extra sauce if you like.

Very Satisfying! I'd make it again this week, if I knew I could get away with it. YUM!

2 comments:

Dancer in DC said...

This is so delicious - if you start with a good quality recipe for crust and take the time to whip together a good sauce, then you can't go wrong!

It's also very versatile - you could try a host of different fillings based on what you have on hand - various Italian meats, peppers, artichoke hearts, olives - go crazy!

Anonymous said...

That looks so professional. Almost not real. And then I licked the screen and got a zap.