Saturday, May 17, 2008

Whoa, That's Deep

For dinner last night I made my Deep Dish Pizza.


Still very delicious, but still the same problem as last time. The sauce is too watery. Oh, and I over-cooked it a bit. The crust was dry and tough. But overall, still a great pizza. I have some ideas for next time. I used a 28 oz can of whole tomatoes that I crushed and added some of the liquid from the can. The flavor is incredibly rich and fresh. But as we see, very watery. Next time, I will still do the whole tomatoes that I crush up, I will let them drain. I will then add a small can of sauce, which is thicker than the liquid in the canned whole tomatoes. I suspect that will help out the watery issue, but I'm also worried it will alter the flavor some, as the canned sauce is more processed than the whole tomatoes. But I'll have to try it to see!

4 comments:

Dancer in DC said...

Maybe instead of canned sauce you can make your own pasta sauce and use that?

The Kara said...

You know I'm no cook - but I am Italian. When I make my own marinara, I actually tend to make it a bit too thick. So my mistake can be your aid, I suggest putting in some 'tomato sauce' that's in the little can, but more likely is to put in 'tomato paste' if you don't already. If that doesn't make it stick together, I have no idea. Nonetheless, that pizza looks amazing!!!

Chocoholic said...

Hey, just found your site and saw this post. I dated a guy for awhile who made a great deep dish/Chciago style pizza. He used a big can of whole tomatoes for his sauce. I believe he would crush one in his hand over the sink to get rid of the seeds and then cut them up in a bowl using a pastry cutter. You want the topping to be pretty dry so it doesn't make the rest soggy. I think he just added garlic and some herbs to the tomatoes for the sauce. It was really easy. Maybe that will help next time you make it.

ScottE. said...

chocoholic: thanks for the feedback. I use whole, peeled tomatoes...I think I need to drain them next time...