Friday, April 04, 2008

Canned chickpeas smell like canned catfood...blech

I'm expecting nearly 40 of my nearest and dearest to visit this Saturday and I've been planning and prepping and cooking and cleaning and...and...and...oy! Tired.

One of the snacks I'm prepping for my guests to nosh on includes a fresh batch of the classic Mediterrean/Middle Eastern dip, Hummus.

I got all my ingredients together. What you see is for a double batch...for a SINGLE batch, you need 2 cans of chickpeas (aka: Garbanzo Beans), garlic ( I used two heads of Roasted Garlic), tahini sauce (Sesame Paste), lemon juice, salt and olive oil.

Add all the ingredients, except the olive oil, to the food processor and whiz together. Oh, how much of the other stuff...:

2 cans chickpeas
3-4 TB tahini
2-3 TB fresh lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 head roasted garlic
olive oil (quantity unknown-read on)

Whiz the first ingredients until the get broken up and start to come together in a giant chunky sauce. Then start adding olive oil...I'm guessing I used at least 1/2 cup of olive oil, but maybe even one cup. Pour the oil in while the processor is working...soon you'll have a lovely soft dip. Taste, adjust the salt or lemon if you like. Serve with pita points or fresh veg for dipping.

**Yes, I think canned chickpeas smell like nasty canned catfood...they make me want to toss my lunch...so I open them in the sink, with cold water running to rise them immediately...that raw smell is kind of nasty...at least to me...but they make delicious dip!

4 comments:

Charles Boyington said...

OK, I may have to pass on the dip now... all I will be able to think about is cat food....

Dancer in DC said...

I do love chick peas, but I admit that opening a can is not the most pleasant of experiences.

Then again, neither is opening a can of corned beef hash, but I love that, too.

Anonymous said...

Try maiking it with black beans instead. It will have a different smell when you open the cans, but it also has a bit milder flavoring. I think you will all enjoy. MB

Lady Brandenburg said...

Princess B. loves chick peas out of a can, God love her.