Saturday, November 03, 2007

Get your Mojo on


For no real reason, I'm going to call last night's dinner Pork Chops with Rum Mojo Couscous. Sounds fun.

I started by sauteing a few boneless pork loin chops that I trimmed up nice and clean. I seasoned the chops with a liberal coating of Adobo Criollo, a spice blend I picked up in Puerto Rico that is basically salt, pepper, garlic and oregano...tasty! When the chops were cooked through remove to a plate to rest.

Add about 1/2 a chopped white onion and toss around to pick up any oil. After a minute, add 1/2 a chopped green bell pepper. Give that a minute. Add you seasoning: 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes and 2 tsp dried oregano. Stir to coat everything. Add 1 TB tomato paste and stir to incorporate. The pan will be dry and the tomato paste will start to carmelize. Remove the pan from the heat, and away from the flame, add 1/4 cup dark rum. Stir and return the pan to the heat. When the rum has reduced by half, add 1/2 cup of broth. Stir. Add about 1 1/2 cups cooked Middle Eastern Couscous (click here for more info). Stir to coat.

Plate up; chops and couscous.

I enjoyed this. The flavors blended together pretty well. I couldn't really taste the rum though, so maybe a little more next time. The spice was nice, but you don't have to use as much if you don't like. But try to have some heat from the red pepper flakes, to help balance the sweetness of the tomato paste and rum. And I love the Middle Eastern Couscous. I have only found it at Whole Foods stores. And it's usually sold out. So be diligent and keep looking, it's worth it. If you can't find it, I'm sure you could use an orzo pasta in place of the couscous. I'm not sure I would use a regular fine textured couscous.

No comments: