Monday, August 20, 2007

The Non-Diet


So, um, yeah. I guess it is a diet, but I'm not calling it that. In an effort to not have a heart attack by the age 35 I have made a few small changes in my daily dietary intake.

At the end of May I joined the gym at work. I have to say I've really enjoyed going. I started going everyday I went to work...so weekends and holidays were free. Eventually I allowed myself to taper off a bit, usually when something was going on at work that I couldn't get around, or was going to take up too much of my time. That leaves me going about 3-4 times a week, and I'm pleased with that.

After several weeks of going to the gym I didn't notice any changes in weight. Weight loss was not my goal of going to the gym. Improving my cardiovasular health was primary, I was just hoping for a little something extra. This was getting me down and frustrated. I chatted with my boss and she recommended some dietary changes.

And I think they are helping!

As I said, I'm not calling this a "diet." Because if I did, I'd quit!

In place of the bagel, donut, breakfast sandwich type breakfasts I used to have; I'm now working the fruit, yogurt, granola breakfast. Usually I follow this up with a little mid-morning snack of more fruit or nuts. I made the mistake of thinking this snack would allow me to skip lunch...OH WAS I A BITCH for those few days. I needed a sandwich AND BAD!

I'm now stretching my mid-morning fruit/nut snack back a little bit. Then going with a 'light sandwich.' I say light sandwich as in, maybe it'll be a turkey sandwich or it'll be toast with peanut butter and banana...like today! If I miss the sandwich, I have a protein bar that I keep stashed at my desk and then try to have another fruit/nut snack late afternoon.

Dinner? No changes. I like my butter, cream, olive oil, cheese, pasta, etc! Part of my reasoning for making these day time changes is so I can still have fun in the kitchen at night. I know!!! I know...I shouldn't be having such a giant, high calorie dinner late in the evening...but that's the price I'm paying! I do try to get dinner done before it gets too late, but that isn't always the case.

So to be happy and toot my horn for a minute...in the last two week period, the combination of the changes in my food and the gym, I've dropped 10 pounds!

The downside? I'm getting sick of fruit. Friday I had my bowl of strawberries, yogurt and granola and I must have looked like a 10 year old cry baby told to sit at the table until I cleared my plate...I really didn't want it! And outside of the fruit...you all know I hate my vegetables! But I'm trying!!! I really am. Tonight's dinner will be loaded with veg! Stay tuned and wish me luck.

I said NO to donuts this morning! But I said yes to the mini-cupcakes I made for a co-worker's b-day....

10 comments:

Jack said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jack said...

You are correct in not calling it a diet. It is a lifestyle change for the better. Make sure that each change that you make in your diet and exercise routine is something that you can live with.

Dancer in DC said...

I'm so proud! And I'm making changes myself so we can do this together. My breakfasts of peanut butter and crackers with Mt. Dew (I know, I should be stoned) is much improved. I now stick with cereal & fruit, juice or coffee. I'm trying hard to cut back on the soda. I'm down to about 12 oz. a day. Thank heavens for Crystal Light.

Stef said...

I'm so proud of you! (And damn, men suck. 10 pounds in 2 weeks???) But you're right, like Jack says -- it's not a diet, which implies a temporary regimen. You're making changes to how you do things hopefully on a long-term basis. Hooray!

And J-Lo? PB, crackers and Mt. Dew? I am totally allowed to hit you the next time I see you.

Lady Brandenburg said...

Yay, good for you!

Maybe switch it up in the morning - you definitely don't want to get sick of your new healthy choices to the point where you don't do them...when I am "being good" (my version of the "non-diet" as in "I'm being good" instead of "I'm on a diet") in the mornings I have a few choices - fruit and cottage cheese, yogurt and cereal (I eat cereal with yogurt instead of milk) or a protein bar. At least with three choices I'm usually in the mood for one of them each day. Usually the protein bar, for some reason. I think it's because the ones I get have 20g of protein (and zero sugar) and it gives me a much needed morning boost. I need lots o' protein to get the day started.

And yes, men do lose weight faster than women, especially at first. Darn you guys! When I go to a WW meetings, all the women go around the room "I've lost 1.2 lbs. this week" "I've lost .4 lbs. this week" and then inevitably we get to a guy "I've lost 7 lbs..." and we all cringe.

ScottE. said...

I think if I were skipping the gym, I could switch things up a bit more, but since I get up, go to the gym, then to work, I kind of need to eat what I can at work...so I need it to be fairly portable. The fruit/yogurt/granola seems to work pretty well. I need to work in some protein somehow. And the challenge is, eggs. No hardboiled eggs. Most of the suggestions I get go back to that stinky mass. Someone told me it's not too early in the day for a little bit of chicken breast. I might try to figure that out. maybe with a little toasted pita or something? But I think the protein is important.

As for loosing weight fast...partly I have to say it's been 3 months to loose the 10 pounds, the other part is, I was ready, just need to alter the diet a bit and then it dropped. So three months, 10 pounds is progress, but not huge progress.

Anonymous said...

Have I shared my mini-quiche recipe with you? I make 'em, freeze 'em, then pop them in the micro for breakfast. And they're completely portable. I love them for breakfast... in fact, I'll be making some tonight!

Stef said...

Ah, 3 months.... now that makes more sense. I won't hit you, cuz I'm so proud, but I'll still hit J. :-)

You can totally try any protein you want for breakfast. I've been known to roll up a few slices of deli meat as a protein-boost in the morning.

ScottE. said...

Yes, three months, but no weight loss in that time. It wasn't until I changed the diet a few weeks ago that that happened.

michael, claudia and sierra said...

very impressive, in my blog i talk about this too. i cook, i eat and i fret about what i eat. it's been so hot here i've not been exercising like i was. and i too try to watch the daily intake so that i can eat well at night! keep up the good work.