Monday, June 04, 2007

See you in a week

So long folks! I'm off for the next week...no regular posts. Maybe some insights and restaurant reviews from our destination, but we'll see. Have a safe and enjoyable week.

~~~~~

Before I go, I want to encourage you to visit a restaurant here DC. Yesterday, for lunch, in the rain, we were finally able to get into Matchbox without waiting!!! Wad a great lunch too.


Matchbox
713 H Street NW
Washington DC 20001
202.289.4441

Matchbox is a tiny space in Chinatown, serving pizza, sliders, steaks, sandwiches and salads. I've been hearing about Matchbox since it opened but each time I've made my way there, a long was waiting outside. I'm usually not a fan of lines, so I would just stroll on to the next destination, but Sunday afternoon in the rain was the perfect time to go.

The restaurant is just 15 feet wide and 3, 3 1/2 floors high. We were brought up to the top level and pulled up to our table to review the menu. I really didn't need to, I could tell what I wanted by checking out the other tables. I want mini-burgers and I want pizza!

The mini-burgers are on the appetizer menu and labeled 3.6.9 Mini Burgers. Savory little burgers on a toasted brioche bun with french fried onions. We ordered ours with smoked gouda. Delish. We ordered three, so we could save room for pizza. Easily, ordering the 3 and just the 3, you'd have a nice lunch. But since we were splitting everything, the 3 were a great start. I piled my little burger high with the onions and dug in. Totally satisfying!

Then arrived our pizza. sticking with the beef theme we started, we ordered the Meatball Pizza. Meatballs, bacon, cheese, garlic and a 'zesty' tomato sauce on a crisp crust from a wood fired oven. Crisp and chewy and a little smokey. YUM. The meatballs were a tad dry, but they held up pretty well on the pizza. The garlic could have been distributed a little better, as well as the dash of red pepper flakes.

Overall, the first lunch was great. I look forward to heading back and enjoying more burgers and trying other pizzas! And they have a fun beer list.

2 comments:

Dancer in DC said...

A meal so good you text your friends as you're leaving the restaurant.

Stef said...

A meal so good you both separately text the same friend at almost exactly the same time! :-)

I'm so glad you finally got to experience Matchbox! It's one of my top 5 places, but I do usually avoid it completely during tourist season or anytime there's a big thing at Verizon. If you think it's small now, you should've seen it before their recent expansion that doubled the size!

I love the mini-burgers, and it is home to my absolute favorite salad - the Bistro salad. Field greens, pears, giant goat cheese croutons and a great vinaigrette. And they have viognier! :-)