Saturday, January 13, 2007

Ricing

What?

This is a Ricer. I've had this ricer for a few years, a gift that was purchased at the Eastern Market flea market a few years ago. The primary use of the ricer is to "rice" potatoes. Riced potatoes make the smoothest 'mashed' potatoes you can image. You just cut and boil your potatoes until fork tender. Drain and fill the hopper of the ricer. Position the plunger and squeeze into a large bowl. Add a little butter and cream, stir and done! Delish. Riced potatoes are also a main ingredient in gnoccchi--hopefully I'll tackle those little suckers soon! I can imagine the ricer being used for other root veggies you would puree or mash...carrots? turnips? parsnips? sweet potatoes? In the past I've not peeled the potatoes before cooking and then ricing them. This works ok, but the peels can clog the ricer up. It's easiest to use when the veg have been peeled.

Riced Potatoes. You see the rice-like texture of the potatoes after they have been pressed through the hopper. Light and airy!

4 comments:

Barbara said...

My mom uses a ricer when she makes her potato dumplings that go with her sauerbraten. I have one too but rarely use it.
Yours has a cool retro look to it.

Anonymous said...

I use my ricer to drain the water out of frozen spinach. Works like a charm ...

ScottE. said...

Smart Idea---draining frozen spinach!!!

Barbara: Do you have a potato dumpling recipe from your mom? I'd be curious to see the difference between those and the ones my grandma made.

Barbara said...

I'll ask her for the recipe. I don't think she's ever written it down but I'm sure she can jot down the steps.