Sunday, December 24, 2006

Great Green Gauc!

No sooner do I tell you I probably won't be posting anything new until the new year, I went ahead and made us a little mid-afternoon snack of Guacamole. Mmm. I gotta tell you, I used to fear Guac., but it's really starting to grow on me. And it's very easy to make, give it a shot. Good Fat!!!


2-3 avacados
2 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
1/4 small white onion, finely chopped*
Small handful of cilantro, rinsed and chopped
1 lime, juiced
Salt

* I like to rinse my onions in cold water to get some of the strong acid/sulfuric compounds to go away...otherwise, they come back to visit me about an hour later.

Halve the avacados lengthwise and remove and discard the pits. Scoop out the pulp into a medium bowl and coarsely mash with a fork. Add the tomatoes, chiles, onions and cilantro. Add the lime juice to taste and season with salt. Mix until just combined.


From Wikipedia: The fruit has a markedly higher fat content than most other fruits, mostly monounsaturated fat. A whole medium avocado contains approximately 25% of the United States FDA's recommended daily amount of saturated fat. Avocados also have 60% more potassium than bananas. They are also rich in B vitamins, as well as vitamin E, vitamin K, and folate.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

2006 has been the Year of the Avocado for me. Out of nowhere, I fell in love! So I'm very happy to see your pretty guac pics! I even have a few avocados coming my way in the next grocery delivery, probably to be used in some healthy wraps. Hooray!

Dancer in DC said...

What a tasty treat, with no guilt! OK, so maybe we shouldn't have devoured the whole bowl in one sitting, but still...

I swear, once you've tasted fresh guac, you will never agree to the pre-packaged stuff ever again.

Anonymous said...

The only ingredient missing was a clove of fresh garlic minced or put though a garlic press. Try it next time

Asian Mistress said...

I just wanted to let you know that I made your guac on NYE (minus the jalepenos cause I'm a wuss)...it was so good! I did not get mine all scooped out and cut up pretty like yours though. And there were some brown spots on the insides which sucked. Oh well, better luck next time. But mmmm guac! :)

ScottE. said...

Way to go A.M.!!!! It's pretty easy and super tasty!

Dena: I considered the garlic, but omitted it on purpose...raw garlic likes to visit me hours later and I wasn't looking forward to that. Maybe another time in the future I'll add it.

ShaNayNay said...

I'm a late to comment-- but since I'm a Avocado lover too--- and Mike makes pretty mean guac-- try using scallions in place of white onion and the trick for keeping it staying fresh green is to put the pit in the bowl of guac (especially if you have any leftovers-- which we never seem to!)