Monday, November 13, 2006

Getting Your Greens

I had a tasty treat in my email in box about two weeks ago from my good friend in Philly. She was having dinner with her cousin and brought a salad. She wanted to share with me and I wanted to pass it on to you all. Enjoy!
I made a pear salad for the first time, inspired by the one they serve at LeBus. I started with their menu which says the salad includes greens, bosc pears, roasted red peppers, candied walnuts, blue cheese, and candied walnuts in a citrus vinaigrette.

I ended up using:

-head of green leaf lettuce, chopped (more can be added based on preference)
-small jar of roasted red peppers
-3 bosc pears, sliced and chopped
-bag of sweetened pecans (couldn't find walnuts)
-blue cheese, crumbled

First I chopped the lettuce, using a little more than 1/2 the head, although more can be used depending on preference. Then I drained the peppers and chopped the larger pieces into smaller ones and threw them in. Next came the bag of pecans (although I good number of them went straight into my mouth - so yummy!) Finally I crumbled in the blue cheese, estimating how much to use -- this can vary.

I held off on cutting the pears until we got to their house so they would not brown.

Then it was on to the citrus vinaigrette. I found several recipes online and picked one that looked good but varied it slightly:

Juice of one large navel orange
2 TBSP balsamic vinegar
2 TBSP lemon juice
1/4 tsp. dry mustard
dash of salt
dash of fresh ground pepper
1 tsp. brown sugar -- I used regular white sugar
1 crushed clove of garlic -- I used a dash or two of garlic powder

I mixed all of this in a small container and then just shook it all up to blend. I carried it with my to our friends' house so I could add it later and keep the lettuce from getting soggy.

Finally, when we were ready to eat, I chopped the pears, dressed the salad, tossed, and served. Delicious!
I have to add...and I'm sure you all already knew this...but crispy fruit (apples/pears) and nuts (almonds/cashews) in a salad are soo good. I never thought it would be tasty, but slowly realized I was a stupid head when I started going to more and more events where it was norm. Mmmmm!

PS: I don't like it when some of my favorite restaurants doesn't have a webpage of it's own...well, Le Bus does, but it's been underconstruction since 2004...so GET ON IT LE BUS! And FYI...if you go to Philly/Manayunk--GO! And White Dog Cafe! See...a website!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

While the White Dog has generally wonderful food, nothing compares to their natural cut white cheddar cheese fries. They're seriously delicious and have ruined me for other cheese fries forever.

ScottE. said...

I've been to White Dog twice and really enjoyed the entrees I've had there. I haven't had the cheese fries...that might be a bad idea!

Emily said...

Actually, Le Bus does have a website:
www.lebusmanayunk.com

Yummmmmmm.

I had a business lunch at White Dog last week. Again I say:

Yummmmmmm.

ScottE. said...

Thanks for the website Em! I did so many searches and just couldn't find one!