Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Tilapia

I was trying to decide what to do for dinner and came across a recipe in my files. I have NO idea where it came from. If anyone knows, or if you gave it to me, let me know!

Anyway...I went the route of fish tonight. It's not something I normally do...I'm always afraid of fish tastying 'fishy.' When I was a kid, I had so much fresh water fish as a kid, and without a doubt, there was always a serving a fish that tasted awful. Well, I'm working out my issues and moving on.

Tilapia with Lemon Caper Sauce
Serves 2

3/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice (1 lemon)
1 1/2 tsp drained capers, lightly chopped
2 tsp butter
2 tilapia filets (mine were small, I did three and split the last one)
Salt/Pepper
1/4 cup flour
2 tsp butter

Combine first three ingredients.

Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over low heat.

While the butter melts, sprinkle the fish fillets with salt and pepper. Place the flour in a shallow dish. Dredge fillets in flour; shake off excess flour.

Increase heat to medium-high; heat 2 minutes until butter turns golden brown. Add the fillets to the pan; saute 2-3 minutes per side or until the fish is flaky. Remove the fillets from the pan. Add broth/lemon juice and capers to the pan, scraping up any brown bits in the pan. Bring to a boil; cook until reduced to 1/2 cup (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat. Stir in two teaspoons of butter with a whisk. serve sauce over fillets. Garnish with lemon wedges and chopped parsley, if desired.

I misread the recipe and thought it said two tablespoons of butter. So it a pan fried tilapia vs. sauteed. Oh well, mistakes happen and when you don't know you made the mistake...all is good.


Here's the sauce. I had a shallot in the cupboard that was getting lonely, so I finely diced the shallot and tossed it in the pan before the broth/juice mixture, until they started to soften and turn translucent. You'll also note in the recipe that after the sauce reduces, to add 2 tsp of butter to enrich the sauce. Well, I didn't do that either, cuz i'm stooopid. Again, didn't know this was a mistake until after we finished dinner, so all was good. Maybe if you only saute the fish in 2 tsp of butter, you might want to add the 2 tsp in this step.


Here we go. I served the fish on my new plates that we picked up at the outlets this weekend! I served with some sauted potatoes that were seasoned with salt, pepper and herbs de 'provence. Yum!

Dinner was tasty and light. I'd certainly make this again. And easy!! There were just a few minutes of prep (talking tilapia here, not potatoes) and less than 10 minutes of cooking and sauce making!

The recipe as I found it in my files actually called for brine-packed green peppercorns instead of capers. I'm sure they are good, but I had capers! The recipe also recommended dredging the filets in whole wheat flour for a nutty flavor in the fish. I'm sure it would be good and I could have tried it with the WW flour in the cupboard, but that would have taken my lazy rear another minute to dig it out. Oh well!

5 comments:

Washington Cube said...

This sounds perfect for a light summer dinner.

Dancer in DC said...

YUM - so good! I could have eaten more!

Stef said...

This actually sounds like something I could make! And similar to the filet of sole I had for dinner last night in NYC. Two questions:

1. How do you buy capers? Do they come fresh, or in a jar? Where in the aisles???

2. Is the flour necessary, or could the fish filets be sauteed without the flour? It doesn't sound like it's bad for you at all, I just don't usually like any breading.

thoughts?

ScottE. said...

If I remember correctly, the capers are in the condiment aisle near the pickles/olives. They are small little jars and their are a few sizes of capers...go for the small ones, roughly the size of a pea.

as for the flour, I'm sure you can skip it and be fine. As I don't make tilapia very often, I'm not sure if it will hold up to a quick saute without this bit of flour to protect the fish from falling apart. Even though the recipe calls for 1/4 cup of flour, when all is said and done, probably less than 1 TB are actually used.

Anonymous said...

New plates. New bowls. That just makes a good dinner that much more enjoyable. Also -- with the fish -- who cares about a little extra butter!